Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 7.3 OBS PSD
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

7.3 OBS PSD 94-97 PowerStroke Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
97strokeonit

Name: 97strokeonit
Title: STROKE-A-HOLIC
Member`s Gallery
Intake Pleniums and Springs?

What are intake Pleniums like these? would they be any good to me?

Swamp's Webstore - 7.3L 3" intake plenums (upgrade for 2" plenums on 1994-1997)

Same question about valve springs? Would these do me anygood once I get my new turbo? D66 from beans.

Swamp's Webstore - Valve Springs, Comp Cams Comp Springs

and lastly what all is done to a modded IDM? I would like to get mine professionally modded but dont know what all they do and if thats smart if I plan on alot of new upgrades. THANKS!!!

Old 11-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
02BigD

Name: 02BigD
Title: Lovin Life...
Member`s Gallery
The springs are stiffer, they prevent the valves from opening when you've upped the boost. I've heard 40 psi is around the number to make the change.

Modded IDM allows for more fuel.

Gadzooks!

Old 11-28-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
wwm

Name: wwm
Title: TO MANY TRUCKS
Member`s Gallery
the idm sends stronger electrical surges for your injector to spray morefuel and the Pleniums are only if your running a pretty big turbo or alota air

94 rclb no plate, 4ks, FC's, afc mods, Mack plug, Mack 64mm turbo, gauges, metal dash, 5" stacks

Old 11-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
97strokeonit

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwm View Post
the idm sends stronger electrical surges for your injector to spray morefuel and the Pleniums are only if your running a pretty big turbo or alota air
So when do you consider new springs cuz I only make like 15lbs of boost on launch but at WOT ive made upwards of 40lbs. The new turbo I want to get is a 66mm so would intake pleniums be needed for that size or is that too small still. So do they mod the IDM the same regardless of injector size? I just dont wanna get my IDM modded then get a set of hybrids and have to get it re modded again because it could push more juice to them. THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!

Old 11-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
lukecline

Name: lukecline
Title: Kansas Kid
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BigD View Post

Modded IDM allows for more fuel.

Gadzooks!
kind of..... if your running small injectors with a stockish truck you may see little to no gain with modded idm, but if your running very large injectors at higher rpm you will see some gains. the modded idm raises voltage to the injectors causing yhem to open faster which allows more pulsewith at higher rpm. swamps diesel mods theres a little more but i cannot remember what all they do, i ran one in my twinned rig fwiw

Old 11-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
97strokeonit

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecline View Post
kind of..... if your running small injectors with a stockish truck you may see little to no gain with modded idm, but if your running very large injectors at higher rpm you will see some gains. the modded idm raises voltage to the injectors causing yhem to open faster which allows more pulsewith at higher rpm. swamps diesel mods theres a little more but i cannot remember what all they do, i ran one in my twinned rig fwiw
but its not something like a chip where everytime I get new Injectors or something I will have to get it re burnt or re upgraded right. The mod them all the same regardless of how modded your truck is?

Old 11-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
pontiacross

Name: pontiacross
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97strokeonit View Post
but its not something like a chip where everytime I get new Injectors or something I will have to get it re burnt or re upgraded right. The mod them all the same regardless of how modded your truck is?
no you dont have to have your idm programed or anything like that but if you get one it wouldn't be a bad ide to tell your tuner that you havit, they may wont to change the tuneing on the chip slightly. those that have the modded idms say it helps with throttle responce especially on the old body stile trucks becasue they have a weaker idm anyway. I have one of swamps on my truck but I changed abunch of stuff at the same time so cant say if it did anything or not.

as for the intakes you probably wont see much of gaine from them especially if you run a d66 turbo, becasue your intake spyber will still be 2in. if you go up to a h2e or turbo like that it would be a good idea to go to the 3in intaks becasue you'll be changing the intake spyder at the same time so you could get a bigger one of those.

I wouldn't worry about valve springs unless your going to a set of hybrid injectors (or similar sized ones)