Proven towing twin set-up.

DeepSouthDiesel

I am looking for a proven towing set-up for my project. I would like to hear what people have used/tried that works well. I tow 15-20,000 on a daily basis in my biz. I am shooting for the 450-550 daily driver range. I obviously need it to have good manners(fast spool,reliability,drive ability,etc). Who has got a great set-up I build. I plan on fabing it myself. ALL advice is helpful

I would go with a 57mm s300 over a 472. Quick spool up and more than enough air to keep cool at 500hp.
Coolant temp however at 500hp. will be an issue towing 15-20k.

I would go with a 57mm s300 over a 472. Quick spool up and more than enough air to keep cool at 500hp.
Coolant temp however at 500hp. will be an issue towing 15-20k.

Good combo... Another option would be an HX35 instead of the s300 to save a little money. The s300 will be more durable though.

I've also seen an HT60 under an HX35 work as a great towing set-up on a mech. pump Perkins. Similar enough to a 12V to mention here I think...

Good combo... Another option would be an HX35 instead of the s300 to save a little money. The s300 will be more durable though.

That's my plan for the 99 later this year if funds allow hopefully!

Another vote for Hx35/Ht3b with external wastegate. Got done fabricating my setup a few weeks ago. Spools fast and smooth, I could not be happier with it.

what your boost, egts, and hp numbers on that set up jeepinoveru? that sound like a combo i would be interested in!

I built it as a towing set and for fun. Not sure on horsepower yet, probably 500hp to 550hp, egts are way down, boost is 50-60 psi. Cant wait to tow with it, its the best thing i have done to the truck.

So your combo isn't proven on the towing yet? I have been thinking of using the hx35 and pair it with a hx55. Do anyone know if that would make a great trailer pulling combo?

he351 over a 3b works great. You probably won't keep the motor cool at that horsepower towing if you hang in it very long. It seems around 350 to maybe 400 is the limit on the radiator to cool these trucks. They still pull hard at that hp though.

I'd like to try a he341 over some 70 mm turbo, real quick to get ahead of heat and should be good to over 400.

The trick is to get ahead of the heat, once it gets hot it's hard to get back down on ex. temps.

If you haven't towed with twins you will be amazed!

So your combo isn't proven on the towing yet? I have been thinking of using the hx35 and pair it with a hx55. Do anyone know if that would make a great trailer pulling combo?

hx35 over ht3b is a proven combo! got 3 setups i have built never give trouble

Like he said, it is a proven combo. Very common setup that works great. Use the search and see for yourself.

HX35/HT60/22 or 62/68 over HT60/22 exh housing would work well.

A s475 might spool a little faster but I hear the 3b's have more up top. I'm going to a s360/3b setup soon from the 35/3b combo.

I am looking for a proven towing set-up for my project. I would like to hear what people have used/tried that works well. I tow 15-20,000 on a daily basis in my biz. I am shooting for the 450-550 daily driver range. I obviously need it to have good manners(fast spool,reliability,drive ability,etc). Who has got a great set-up I build. I plan on fabing it myself. ALL advice is helpful

So you guys are voting for HT3B on the bottom for this guy pulling heavy loads on a regular basis. How is the spooling or is it more lagging than a stock charger? What size injectors, fuel plate, and amount of timing are you HT3B guys running? Looking for quick spooling and a lot of low end torque(450hp). Trying to learn from others to cut down on the trial and error.

Back