96 1500 cummins

smokeblack13

When in doubt Pin it
I have searched and pmed a few members about the motor mounts lining up in the 2nd gen 1500 to the 12 valve and have found mixed answers whether they line up or not. I dont have the 1500 yet to measure and would like to know what im getting myself into.

I left the 1500 coils in mine, the dana 60 is a direct bolt in replacing the 44, When I swap the 60 in mine, I got everything from the steering box down, and it bolted in with no modifications. The track bar is the same part number between the 1500 and the 2500, so I left it on the 1500 (mainly because I did not have a puller).

The rear ends will not directly swap,
-the leaf perches on the 1500 are set out wider than the ones on the 2500, so they will need to be cut off and replaced with new perches.
-the speed sensor plug is a different, just swap the sensor out with the one in the donor vehicle.

As far as the frame goes, the frames were almost the same. The front cross member on the 1500 is just a single c channel where the one in the 2500 was more double channel(see the drawing). The transmission cross member was not as wide from front to back as the 2500. But the frame and the mounts are the same height, width, and thickness of material, until it gets behind the cab. Then the 2500 goes to 1/4" thick material compared to the 1500's 1/8".

0000.jpg

No not yet, I am hoping for around 5500 though, the sticker says it is 4553 curb weight IIRC.

well nothing really, but it wasnt big but the wiring kinda sucked. i used a 98 harness in my 99, but in a 96 just get a 96 12 valve harness and ecm and you'll be fine.

great thanks well i might be contacting you guys with my problems later down the road im picking up the 1500 this weekend it has 35k on the rebuilt motor that should get close to funding my 12 valve motor

You guys swapping to a 1/2 ton for mileage?

:hehe:, sorry couldn't resist

My goal is to have a nasty street/weekend warrior truck (650hp+/-) without having to do any major frame work like cutting out some of the frame to make it a short bed.

Back