Overcharging?

RV2

Hey guys, a couple of weeks ago I noticed the smell of battery acid and the battery seemed to be overcharging so I made the mistake of buying a new ecm, thinking that was the problem, I let the truck sit for a few days and when I went to start the truck it was stone dead jumped the battery and it ran, then I tested the battery and it was no good so I purchased a new battery and checked all my fusible links plus I cleaned the battery terminals.
I started it up and put my meter on the alt and it was putting out 13.93 and then I put the meter on the battery and it was at 13.89.
What do you guys think? maybee the last step would be the alt?

You bought a ecm without checking anything at all? Or was it for sure overcharging

Honestly i think you just had a bad battery but you could get the alternator checked by a shop to double check.

My 1990 truck had the same problem so i did some checking and it turned out to be the alternators external regulator its a silver box right up on the firewall but the newer 93 truck doesent have one iirc they changed it up in the later trucks

My 1990 truck had the same problem so i did some checking and it turned out to be the alternators external regulator its a silver box right up on the firewall but the newer 93 truck doesent have one iirc they changed it up in the later trucks

His voltage at the battery is good though. Not sayin it couldnt be intermittently overcharging. Still cant belive he threw a ecm at it. Dont know how much it might have cost but still...

First of all, no offense, but your diagnosis-through-partswap kinda makes it sound like you're kinda new to electrical troubleshooting.

A properly-charging 12 volt automotive system should run between ~13.5-15.5 volts, and when the engine is off the battery should slowly (over hours) drop to 12.5-12.6 volts. So the battery being close to 14 volts with the engine running isn't a problem; it's ideal.

However, these trucks are notorious for having genuine overcharging (20v+) issues and no-charge issues.

To diagnose those, I first have to ask...
What year truck? Does it have a black rectangular cross-over tube over the engine that says "Cummins Turbo Diesel" or is it intercooled?

The earlier ones (89-91 with the cross-over tube) don't have an "ECM" that controls charging voltage, they have a standalone solid-state "voltage regulator" that mounts on the firewall, does the same thing and is much cheaper. You can actually retrofit the earlier-style voltage regulator if the ECM stops working on a 91-93 intercooled truck.

Voltage regulators and ECM's like to go bad on these trucks. A lot of the time that manifests as an intermittent overcharging problem.

Our alternators are speshule; they get an ignition-on 12v+ source from a blue wire, then either the voltage regulator or the ECM gives it a variable 5-7 volt signal through a green wire. The volt drop across the field coil in the alternator is functionally equal to the blue wire voltage minus the green wire voltage; usually this is between 7 or 5 volts. If the alternator stops getting a good 12 volt signal from the blue wire, it won't do anything. If it stops getting a 5-7 volt signal from the green wire it will full field the alternator and, depending on the engine RPM, it can kick out voltages over 30 volts and cause all sorts of havoc. So overcharging is usually caused by the ECM or voltage regulator not putting out enough voltage to the alternator, or becoming disconnected from the alternator.

Last edited:
Good info Begle1, I didnt know all the technical details off the top of my head but did know enough not to rule out a intermittent problem.

Hey, Bud. My buddy had the same problem. Smell of battery acid and so on. He changed the voltage regulator and same problem. Checked alt. after that and a few other things. Turned out the new one at the parts store was bad to. The 2nd one turned out good.

First of all, no offense, but your diagnosis-through-partswap kinda makes it sound like you're kinda new to electrical troubleshooting.

A properly-charging 12 volt automotive system should run between ~13.5-15.5 volts, and when the engine is off the battery should slowly (over hours) drop to 12.5-12.6 volts. So the battery being close to 14 volts with the engine running isn't a problem; it's ideal.

However, these trucks are notorious for having genuine overcharging (20v+) issues and no-charge issues.

What year truck? Does it have a black rectangular cross-over tube over the engine that says "Cummins Turbo Diesel" or is it intercooled?

The earlier ones (89-91 with the cross-over tube) don't have an "ECM" that controls charging voltage, they have a standalone solid-state "voltage regulator" that mounts on the firewall, does the same thing and is much cheaper. You can actually retrofit the earlier-style voltage regulator if the ECM stops working on a 91-93 intercooled truck.

Voltage regulators and ECM's like to go bad on these trucks. A lot of the time that manifests as an intermittent overcharging problem.

Our alternators are speshule; they get an ignition-on 12v+ source from a blue wire, then either the voltage regulator or the ECM gives it a variable 5-7 volt signal through a green wire. The volt drop across the field coil in the alternator is functionally equal to the blue wire voltage minus the green wire voltage; usually this is between 7 or 5 volts. If the alternator stops getting a good 12 volt signal from the blue wire, it won't do anything. If it stops getting a 5-7 volt signal from the green wire it will full field the alternator and, depending on the engine RPM, it can kick out voltages over 30 volts and cause all sorts of havoc. So overcharging is usually caused by the ECM or voltage regulator not putting out enough voltage to the alternator, or becoming disconnected from the alternator.

Dang sir awesome info. I just posted the oposite problem. Truck is putting out like 12.5 volts. Its just not charging. I can run the battery for a few days as long as I dont drive at night. Replaced alt, charge battery, still happens. Any pointers for me? 91 intercooled 250

While running...

To test the ignition circuit, check to make sure that the alternator is getting 12+ volts on the blue wire in the back of it.

To test the ECM/ voltage regulator, check to ensure there are 5-7 volts on the green wire.

To test the positive alternator cable, check to ensure there's no voltage difference between the positive battery post and the big positive wire terminal on of the back of the alternator.

To test the alternator ground cable, check to ensure there's no voltage difference between the negative battery post and the big ground wire coming off the alternator.

The Mopar Blue voltage regulator is the best I've tried. The ones from the local auto parts store work new about 2 out of 3 times and last about 3 to 6 months. The Blue's last about 2 years and charge steady with no pulsing.

voltage regulator. little box with one three pronged connector. i had the same problem. toasted a battery. and i guess i fried my ECM too which is really screwing me over. my trans is currently in safe mode because of it.

voltage regulator. little box with one three pronged connector. i had the same problem. toasted a battery. and i guess i fried my ECM too which is really screwing me over. my trans is currently in safe mode because of it.

Trans in safe mode.:clap::umno:

QUOTE]

Good info but I have one thing to add. The intercooled trucks were not all regulated by the computer. 92 and 93 were controled by the computer and the 91 had a external regulator even if they were intercooled. I have a 91 intercooled and my regulator just went bad on me and I had to replace it.

Back