egts make 1400 towing. too high fer me

dieselbeef

dick doggin
towin the toyhauler it gits to 1400 sometimes. smokin like all hell
only makin bout 10 psi boost. once its over 15 psi it all good. itll boost all the way to 45 where i got it set to pop off. if i kick it out of lockup the egts go way down cuz boost goes right up. the trucks got a 62/74/14 silver 62. bd intake ram. 130 inj from bd. a iis hrvp. drilled connectors tubes. low stall gorend converter and 4.10 rears. its good cruisin but come up on a hill and the truck lugs alittle on the turbo lag and the egt starts climbing. it also is keepin the truck running bout 200 eng coolant temp rather than the 190 it runs empty.

so what to do..i know the turbo is somewhat laggy but it smokes ALOT..even not towing when im in lockup. like in town when im luggin the converter a bit. the inj aint that big...got plenty of air and alotta fuel..the comp only makes it worse...
water meth?? exp and gotta keep fillin it..pita...

any ideas..a coolant bypass kit had been suggested

or live with it cuz the xh side of the turbo is too heavy and its makin it too laggy

ideas??

gary

How long does it stay at 1400? Maybe the torque converter is a little too tight for your application? How clean is your air filter? Are you getting good airflow across the intercooler? If it's just when you start up a hill before the turbo spool I'd live with it, if it's constant, you might want to try a 62/71/12 or 13SS to help it build a little more boost.

well you coolant is going to get hot if you are running that high for egt for any period of time, yea the turbine wheel in your turbo probably isn't the best chioce for towing, have you considerd twins? possibly water injection while towing? you do have good bit of fuel, maybe too much for towing iwht just a 62? just some thoughts...

Wes

kick it out of overdrive... (or get rid of the 74mm turbine... I'll never understand that turbo)

problem solved

Towing and driving in OD under 65mph is hard on the tranny and will make for high egts. I've got a couple of hills around me that if i go under 70mph ill kick it in 3rd just to keep the egts low and smoke low and that's unloaded.

kick it out of overdrive... (or get rid of the 74mm turbine... I'll never understand that turbo)

problem solved

you would if you threw a .91 a/r housing on it.....

the 74mm turbine/housing relationship just doesn't match, it's like the 71mm/12cm housing it just don't work

you would if you threw a .91 a/r housing on it.....

the 74mm turbine/housing relationship just doesn't match, it's like the 71mm/12cm housing it just don't work

at 550hp, I was at 1:1 at 48psi drive:boost with a 62/71... a 74mm turbine with a .91 would have been a waste IMO... I just don't understand the 74mm turbine with a 62mm compressor :eek:

at 550hp, I was at 1:1 at 48psi drive:boost with a 62/71... a 74mm turbine with a .91 would have been a waste IMO... I just don't understand the 74mm turbine with a 62mm compressor :eek:

I don't think the compressor has that much to do with it, the 74mm wheels work better with a larger housing, they are tractor wheels not meant for that small of a housing..... the 71mm on the other hand has more pitch and matches that housing well.... the 71 is such a low drive wheel anyways, hell I see 52psi boost to 45-48ish drive with a 62/71, and am making well over 500hp..... especially on a VP truck, the comp wheel has nothing to do with making that much more power becuase of rpm restriction

iis says its to keep the surgin down when in cruise on the flats ..

gonna check fer boost leaks but it makes 40 psi

maybe ill do meth but after towing for 10 hrs this weekend i am just kickin it out of od and dealing with it...cruisin on the flats its good bout 1200 or so. noly at slower speeds and speeding up to pass or hilss

yall dont think 1400 for about 1 min at a time is too high??

toyhaulers a brick..lotta drag. bout 10-12k maybe.

That's higher and longer than Id run it.

Mudn1, how are you seeing 52psi of boost at 48psi of drive with that turbo? I was 1:1 at 48psi.

You aren't the only one! The 71 to me is still a heavy wheel for the 62 IMOP...

iis says its to keep the surgin down when in cruise on the flats ..

gonna check fer boost leaks but it makes 40 psi

maybe ill do meth but after towing for 10 hrs this weekend i am just kickin it out of od and dealing with it...cruisin on the flats its good bout 1200 or so. noly at slower speeds and speeding up to pass or hilss

yall dont think 1400 for about 1 min at a time is too high??

toyhaulers a brick..lotta drag. bout 10-12k maybe.

Jeez, 1200 on the flat? I can pull 8K at 900* 60mph on level ground. 1400 for a minute is too long, try more like 20 seconds if you want to be safe. I think you'd be happier with a 62/71, with only a 62 compressor they have more than enough turbine to get rid of that air and not surge.

Jeez, 1200 on the flat? I can pull 8K at 900* 60mph on level ground. 1400 for a minute is too long, try more like 20 seconds if you want to be safe. I think you'd be happier with a 62/71, with only a 62 compressor they have more than enough turbine to get rid of that air and not surge.

i can pull 8k at 60mph on flat at like 700. though im only at 380hp.

he may be even happier with a 62/68/13SS.

Garrett

That's higher and longer than Id run it.

Mudn1, how are you seeing 52psi of boost at 48psi of drive with that turbo? I was 1:1 at 48psi.

hell if I'd know, but I see less boost since porting (No DP before), and it spools so much quicker and pulls harder, wastegate is clamped

you had that SS housing though didn't you? that could be the difference

so the point is that there's no reason to have such a large turbine side with a 62mm wheel, right? :D

yeah I agree, but i am saying a 62 is capable of just as much on a vp truck than one of the larger s300 because of rpms

and I am also saying that 74mm wheel does not work well with 14cm housing, that is why they are pigs till they light......change to a housing meant for that wheel size and pitch on the other hand and they work well, like a 71mm/.8a/r together

an hx 35 or 40 over an s475 would put a big smile on your face when towing. Probly cost you as much as that silver 62 new.

Sheesh...that thing must be a brick...I can tow all day long and never go over 1000* grossing over 35K and running 70mph up hills and down. Of course, the cam and good intercooler helped a lot!

Chris

Back