What is turbo surge?

compressor surge occurs when the engine can not accept the amount of air FLOW at a given pressure ratio that the turbo is trying to feed it... (this is the surge line on the left of the compressor map)

the compressor accelerates rapidly (listen to a vacuum cleaner when you put your hand over the hose... it speeds up!) then when it gets a good bite of air, it slows back down rapidly and then jumps back across the surge line and speeds up...

over and over and over... you can see it on the boost gauge as the needle will flutter, and you'll hear it... anywhere from just a very slight hissing surge to a full on WOOF WOOF WOOF bark (ouch)

i know you hear about it alot with the 7.3's and what is exactly going on that is making the wheel make the noise?

a simple remedy to this problem is either a "wicked wheel" or simlar wheel that is a match to the compressor wheel out of an older body style ford (94-97).

this fixed all of my surge. if that doesn't fix the problem for you a ported ats housing will cure the surge completely, but is more expensive then a wheel which is less then $100.

i do have a wheel just havnt had time to put it on yet, hopefully it will cure it, and you are correct i can watch my boost guage it get to about 10lbs and just starts going crazy, is there anyway if you dont fix it right away that it can hurt anything?

Back