02 just died

blackcoal

My 02 with 250k just died while driving. It's bone stock. Truck ran good with no problems before. No excessive smoke or anything. Truck has about 100k on injectors.

Did a little messing with it. Changed fuel filter. Nothing won't fire.

The only way it will run is with a lift pump spliced in the fuel line or if someone is constantly pumping the hand primer. It idles fine and smooth with no smoke with the lift pump or pumping the primer but with any throttle just blows white smoke and won't drive any faster than an idle.
Any idea what I should check? Tried running fuel hose from cp3 to a jug but it wouldn't suck out of that.

Fuel leak? Thinking high pressure pump cp3 or injectors? Duramaxs don't have lift pumps correct?

Air could be getting into the system somehow. Could be the filter head has developed a leak, air could be leaking around the WIF sensor, pinhole air leak in one of the metal fuel lines or one of the rubber lines on the engine is also possible.

Could also be a collapsed rubber fuel line under the truck, too.

Only way to find out is to pressurize the fuel system from the filler neck and see what happens. The filter head can be rebuilt, the rubber lines can be replaced. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. Just thinking wouldn't running the lift pump make it so it wouldn't matter if the filter head is leaking. It would just leak fuel instead of sucking air. With the lift pump running plenty of fuel comes out of the shrador valve out front so it's getting fuel to the engine so I wouldn't think it's a collapsed line back at the tank. Will pressurize tank and see if anything shows up.

Back