04 lost rear freeze plug

04.5cumminsman

I lost my rear freeze plug in my 04 and I had no choice but to drive the truck home for 45 minutes in the middle of the night because I had no cell service wasn't sure what the problem was at the time. The coolant temp didn't get above 220 but don't know how accurate that was because of the loss of coolant. My question is do I throw a freeze plug in it and run it or should I consider tearing into the engine. What are some things that could be damaged internally I should be worried about????

Everything that moves is hurt. Maybe not junk, but hurt. Scored cylinders for sure.
That's a long haul with no coolant. The gauge would not read correctly with no coolant.

You can get a block off plate from Industrial Injection that can be installed without pulling the transmission.

Last edited:
Simple answer.
Fire it up, pull the oil cap and if it has notable blowby while cold, it's hurt.

Mark.

Bummer 45 minutes equals well done! If you idled it home with no coolant it's amazing how tough these engines are! A gasser would have seized!

Yeah no kidding they are pretty tough, it's crazy how something so inexpensive can destroy a 10 thousand dollar engine

^^^ I agree. You had to make a decision, and you made the one better for your safety. Can't blame you too much, but trying to limp it to an area to find a wrecker would have been a better decision for not hurting the truck.

I could tell you guys some of my "on the road" stories! LOL

Mark.

If the engine is not toast install the Fleece coolant bypass kit... If it is damaged install the Fleece kit when you rebuild it!

Take a 1/4" plate and fab up your own block off plate! There are bolt holes back there for that reason!

So what are some things that you guys would check for damage?? I was kinda thinking about filling it up with coolant and running it for a while seeing if the head gasket is OK I'm not sure what else to look for

I'd throw coolant in it. Fire it up and let it idle for a while. Check blow by, then go rip it around town. Either it lives or dies

You can make a block-off plate and a coolant bypass kit.
MAYBE $200, for the pricier parts.
I would just replace the plug and run a bypass.
If it ever happens again and its blocked off and doesn't leak coolant to inform you of the issue....
... No thanks

Just my .02

Last edited:
Back