05 duramax rough/surging idle...whats the issue??

csummers

i bought an 05 duramax a little over a month ago bone stock other than straight pipe and at idle about ever 30seconds or so it has a lope to it. it goes up about 50rpm's no check engine light and it runs pretty good but it bug's the **** out of me lol and i figure it cant be to good, from what ive been reading its probably the fpr but i just wanted some more input on it befor i buy a regulator.

also ive heard that the lbz regulator is an upgrade is this true? and is it a direct bolt on?

and if i dont get it fixed right away will it hurt anything? my truck is my only transport at the moment

this time of year i would change the fuel filter and and put diesel add. in the tank. regulator is a bolt on but is a B. to get to ! lbz a upgrade. it us know if this wrks.

sounds like a regulator to me. the lbz fpr is an upgrade but keep in mind that it will require custom tuning to run right

Before you spend money on a fprv i would scan it. Also check fuel line for rub spots and pinholes

You could try 2-stroke oil in the fuel tank... Lot's of guy's swear by it, that have had sticky regulators. It's cheap and won't hurt anything.

Mine is the same way, I run either ATF or 2stroke with every tank & it helps alot.

I would bet on the FPR. Mine was the same for over a year. Tried fuel filters, two-stroke only bandaid. Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator, not a problem since. Took about 3.5 hours. Not fun but worth it. Good luck.

ok thanks guys i did scan it with my genisys no codes but i did have to history codes they where both egr codes cant remember what they where but 1 was egr failure so im assuming it had egr problems befor i got it

my fuel milege seems to change day to day today i was getting roughly 18 all day according to my cluster but yesterday i was lucky to get 15. i dont get it could it be because my egr has my intake system all gummed up or could the sticky fpr do that??

i play on deleting my egr realy soon and rerouting my pcv valve also trying to get a little better milage out of it

i picked up some diesel 911 artic formula today ima try it first im going to get a fuel filter tomarrow and see what it does this tank

is there anything i should kno about fuel filter replacment befor i do it? ive never done 1 on a duramax yet lol im going to get tranny fluid and both filters tomarrow to and kind of fluid any1 recomends? truck was very well maintained from last owner oil was just changed when i got it 2thousand miles ago with rotella and a gm filter,the air filter is clean and the fuel fiter looks new to just figured id change it myself because i dont kno for sure the last time it was changed or the fluid was flushed in the tranny

thanks for all the help guys i realy appreciate it!!!

Back