'06 TDI problem

bajamama

Last week we took the car on a road trip. As far as I can tell it was runnign fine. Granted i was on painkiller for having my wisdom teeth pulled. This week when I am driving to work I notice that the car is kind of bucking in 2nd, 3rd and to a lesser degree in 4th gear at r's over 3000. It seems to be worse when it cold. I have 18k on it it has had 2 dealer oil changes. They do the service required at the oil changes also.

My hubby, who is a descent wrench, thinks it the clutch. I think that is really just a pot shot at me since this is my first manual car. I have some ideas that it may just show my ignorance but here goes.

Fuel filter. My thought is it only gets this way at higher RPM so there is a partial clog or restriction. VW seems real cloak and dagger on fuel systems. I know there has to be a filter and a fuel/water seperator but there is not one word printed in any literature that comes with the car about the warning light or how to remedy. So I defer to those who have seen the animal to educate me on this.

EGR. Probably not but a long shot. My question here is at the next service would they clean it for me if I asked? (and paid of course).

I don't think it is a car problem and even if it is they get to fix it with the mileage. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?

06 huh?
Still have factory warranty?

Not dissing on your hubby but with 18K on it even if you drive with the clutch half way engaged I really doubt it's worn out.

Take it to the dealer and let them fix it if still under warranty, if not than do the fuel filter and clean the EGR system (NASTY job).
I'm guessing it's nothing serious.

dan

Fuel filter would be my first guess as well if it happened in ALL the gears, the clogs just don't go away.

Take it to the dealer, that's what warranty is for, and get an explanation of what the problem was. Also while you are there MAKE them show you the fuel filter and how to change it, I have seen to many folks get shut down because of one.

EGR would be nasty but not enough to cause bucking. I can post pictures on how to clean it yourself if you like.

The same with the fuel filter as chances are good its the same filter they have used for years on these VW's.

Take it in, have it documented then fixed.

A friend of mine in CT had to have the 5sp manual tranny replaced by VW under warranty with not many more miles than your car.

His wife has an '05 or '06 PD TDI Jetta...it does have a fuel box on it, however.

Later,

Matt

Thanks guys.

I was dissin' hubby. He was just giving me grief over my learning to drive a standard. But int he last month he has killed it twice as much as me.

I really want to know the fuel filter and water seperator procedures for just what you mentioned. Not to be left on the side of the road. I don't think the dealer is bad but he is the only dealer for about 200 miles. He's the only act in town if you know what I mean. Like the calls for the 15k service. Well there isn't one for a Jetta period, but they kept insisting. I did not give in.

The other thing is I did not want to have to argue with them over cleaning the EGR. I guess if they don't do then I will start wrenching on her myself. Its not that neither of us can its just that we would rather leave it to someone who can do it in half the time without a 4 year old loosing all the screws.

I definately think it is the fuel filter now. I can't get her over 4000 r's and just powerless in general. Getting on the interstate was fun today.

So is there a reference manual anyone recommends since this is our first? VW recommends bently. Around $80. Worth it if its good. Any others?

If it's available I would get a Factory Service Manuel.

dan

Well I did it. Put in the new filter myself. IT was amazingly easy. Hubby did help get it out. I was trying not to get him off the couch b/c he has been so sick. That was a nasty looking thing and there was all sorts of crap in the canister. Tooke her out for a spin to get hubby some smokes and she is back to her old self. Thanks for the opinions and giving me courage.

Back