07 5.9 grid heater chiming

madmikeismad

So mad
Truck bought used from a dealer. It has a silver bullet, possibly a tune (sticker marks on dash, and it will boost to 45psi). Truck runs great, smokeless, low egt's and all the power I would think it should have until it randomly chimes 10 times and grid heater light comes on. Then it derates, makes about 25psi, and hazes enough to leave a small trail behind you. Rail pressure peaks at 23k via scan tool, but takes way longer to achieve after derate. Scan tool won't pick up any codes at all, but it can clear the grid light and truck runs normal again.

All I can really find on this is posts saying to test the injectors or just put new ones in, or it's a smarty problem (but I'm not even sure what tune this might have in it). Problem is, there are absolutely zero other symptoms. I never really got in to cr's, and this is beyond my ability to troubleshoot. Unless it really is as simple as injectors every time.

Last edited:
After some more messing around, it seems to not be so random. If kept at low load it won't derate. But 5/6 gear pulls over 25psi for more than a few seconds will derate and it takes a while to hit 23k rail.

You mentioned a silver bullit?
I assume that's a 66mm charger

You need to start with a good efi tune so you know where your at. Probably pulled the tune off the truck and running stock with that charger.

I vaguely remember looking up the part number when he got the truck and it was a 64mm phat shaft.

He's still in the air about going with firepunk or ppei, so I'm making calls monday morning. I was just really hoping someone might be able to lay a simple answer on me, like check the left tail light because Daimler.

It may be overboosting for the parameters the ECM is set for.
Back in the day you'd use a boost fooler to stop it.
That's one fault you have to reset each time it pops up, as you well know.

Mark.

I’m pretty sure it’s a feature in one of the software flashes that attempts to warn you if the system senses the fuel injection system has too much return flow or actual quantity injected is too far below demanded.

My last set of injectors had some internal leakage that I could tell was getting worse; cranking a sec too long etc. it started doing the grid heater chime thing and derate on really long downhills on the interstate where I was off the pedal for 30+ seconds but the engine was still turning 2000 rpm. Sometime would do it after going full open. Changed to a set of good injectors and it never came back.

I think I remember finding a post from Bob Wagner or Marco saying it was a version of one of the factory flashes that was superseded because it was too sensitive/fickle.

I’m pretty sure it’s a feature in one of the software flashes that attempts to warn you if the system senses the fuel injection system has too much return flow or actual quantity injected is too far below demanded.

My last set of injectors had some internal leakage that I could tell was getting worse; cranking a sec too long etc. it started doing the grid heater chime thing and derate on really long downhills on the interstate where I was off the pedal for 30+ seconds but the engine was still turning 2000 rpm. Sometime would do it after going full open. Changed to a set of good injectors and it never came back.

I think I remember finding a post from Bob Wagner or Marco saying it was a version of one of the factory flashes that was superseded because it was too sensitive/fickle.

That is what's happening now. It does it less on long loaded uphill climbs, and more often on long downhill coasts. Sometimes just when you let off the throttle abruptly. If on cruise control, it doesn't ever derate. I'm really hoping it's tune related, there isn't a single other symptom that suggests injectors are at fault (until it derates and starts smoking).

Ever figure out what the issue was?

Yup. Did some digging and found out there was a smarty tune back in the day that caused this issue. since he didn't know what tune was actually on the truck, I started to assume it was a smarty since they were pretty popular. Reflashed with a tune from fire punk and it fixed everything.

Back