12 valve build

Trusty12

Hi there, so I'm rebuilding my entire truck, 97 12 valve extended cab long box with my dad. Something I've always wanted to do. I have all the chassis parts and redoing the whole thing in a couple weeks. Moog parts/ t style. New brakes, borgeson shaft, ss lines. Currently have a motor I bought torn down and ready to send to the machine shop. Looking for some input on pistons, cam, injectors, o ringed or not. Basically looking to make 600-700-hp, it's my dd, will tow and possibly the od pull.

I know people are going to say you do not need to, but get the cam bushings put in the block on all 7 journals. It will help you out on the cam side a lot. Its around 500-600 dollars, and it ensures zero issues with cams. You have the engine at the machine shop now it is the best time to get it done.

At the same time if your looking for a cam give us a shot.

I know people are going to say you do not need to, but get the cam bushings put in the block on all 7 journals. It will help you out on the cam side a lot. Its around 500-600 dollars, and it ensures zero issues with cams. You have the engine at the machine shop now it is the best time to get it done.

At the same time if your looking for a cam give us a shot.

Is there no cam bearings in the motor already?

I'll be watching this because I will be wanting to do a motor in the future with similar idea. Dd, towing occasionally and 650-700 ish hp, reliably. My build will most likely include twins.

So I've got some questions that might help you. Is the stock cam capable of that power? If your piston walls aren't bad you can prob re use stock Pistons, rering and hone.

Last edited:
Is there no cam bearings in the motor already?

I'll be watching this because I will be wanting to do a motor in the future with similar idea. Dd, towing occasionally and 650-700 ish hp, reliably. My build will most likely include twins.

So I've got some questions that might help you. Is the stock cam capable of that power? If your piston walls aren't bad you can prob re use stock Pistons, rering and hone.

With enough turbo you can get those numbers on a stock cam. A 12v really benefits from a cam change because it doesn't have the tuning capabilities. So adding more air with a cam can help clean up some smoke and lower exhaust gas temperatures.

With enough turbo you can get those numbers on a stock cam. A 12v really benefits from a cam change because it doesn't have the tuning capabilities. So adding more air with a cam can help clean up some smoke and lower exhaust gas temperatures.

So almost any cam is gonna cause ptv issues right?

What would be a reccomendation for his or my power goals with twin turbo or even a larger single? But at 700 and dd twins are probably the best option?

The lower egt with a cam and maybe a cleaner exhaust would be the benefit of the cam I would think is worth it.

We have cams that can fit with out cutting pistons. But that depends on decking the block head, and where the valves are set.

Looking for a relative build list, I was planning on getting the head and block decked flat, pp the head. Was hoping I could use either my hx 35 or my hc1 with another in a twin setup. How important would it be oring the block? Could I just use a normal head gkst?

Back