12v experts

Pipewelder83

I am looking into buying my first 12v and have a question about the one I am looking at. It is in good shape except for an unusual oil leak. There is oil coming out of the dipstick and on to the pump. The first thing I thought was that the rings are toast, but there isn't any oil coming out of the blowby, and there isn't an usual amount of air coming from the oil fill even when I rev it up. Also doesnt have any blue smoke comeing from the exhaust. Does oil normally travel up the dipstick like that? Is there anything else I can easily check to see it the rings are toast? Any advice? Thanks

No blow by then rings are fine. Sounds like it needs some breathers on the valve covers

I checked the oil and it was at the add mark. I just want to rule out ring failure. I'm thinking its either the dipstick or the breathers. It does have 190k on it. It runs pretty damn good.

Is the draft tube the same as the blowby tube? or the crank case vent? If so what could it be plugged with? The tube I looked at looked somewhat clear in color. I just looked at the bottom few inches and there wasn't any oil coming out of it. It was down right next to the oil pan on the drivers side.

Is the draft tube the same as the blowby tube? or the crank case vent? If so what could it be plugged with? The tube I looked at looked somewhat clear in color. I just looked at the bottom few inches and there wasn't any oil coming out of it. It was down right next to the oil pan on the drivers side.
That's it coming off the tappet cover on drivers side. If it's got any kind of obstruction it will push oil out of a lot of places, starting with the dipstick then onto gaskets and seals. If the yellowed clear tubing isn't obstructed, the tappet cover has a raised portion close to the back of engine that could be partially plugged, it could be cleaned or changed for a new one. Or you could replace with a billet cover and add breathers to rocker covers.

Ok thanks. I'm going to go back up Monday and check it out one more time. Should there be a fair amount of air that comes out of that hose while the motor is idling?

If it's completely stock, you can do a manometer test, as long as the blow-by hose isn't blocked (it sounds like you tappet cover needs removing and cleaning).

I checked the oil and it was at the add mark. I just want to rule out ring failure. I'm thinking its either the dipstick or the breathers. It does have 190k on it. It runs pretty damn good.

Unless it has been operated with no air cleaner or a really bad one the blowby should be minimal with only 190k. There should be a small o-ring on the dipstick you could check. Removing the tappet cover requires removing the injector pump, so that is a last resort IMO. You might try a coat hanger wire or something similar to check the breather hose. Could have a mud dauber nest in it.

Mine does it a little bit also, I don't worry about it. The level doesn't change between oil changes so I don't care.

Probably has a piece of shop towel shoved in the blowby tube to keep the buyers happy.

Back