12v head gasket problem

jedeka

After pulling last weekend, I noticed antifreeze leaking out of the rear of the engine. I pulled my coolant bypass plate, installed a new seal and put back together. After pressurizing the system with a tester, still had a leak, which I could see was coming out the head gasket. After removing the head, the gasket was blown out the front and rear. Looks like the coolant traveled along the fire ring and then blew out between the head studs. I am trying to figure out why the gasket blew out. I pulled my stock water pump and noticed it has a very aggressive impeller on it. I ordered an electric pump and installed it, eliminating the possibility of the stock water pump being the problem. I was thinking the bolt-in soft plugs on the passenger side of the block and the rear bypass plate were installed as a preventative measure. Was my stock water pump the problem or do I need to be looking at a compression leak into the coolant passage, like a crack? Thanks.

Upper & lower receiver groove fire ring, single receiver groove fire ring (block or head?) or imprinted O-ring?

Assuming good machining, HG & installation, your wire protrusion isn't balanced correctly to stud clamp load.

Back