12v/NV4500 Bad Grinding Noise

1slowhatch

I was driving my truck the other day and noticed a bad gear grinding noise. It would do it intermittently in any gear, almost any rpm and didn't seam to matter what load was on it. The engine seemed to still run ok, good oil pressure, clutch felt the same, shifted fine, etc.

I noticed it was leaking a good bit of engine oil. Started poking around and noticed a hole in the timing case. Obviously, the killer dowel pin had let loose. I assumed that was what was making the grinding noise. Pulled the cover, fixed the hole, jacked up the motor, cleaned out debris in the oil pan ( and dowel pin). I tabbed the dowel pin, lock tighted and torqued everything back down again. Fresh oil change. Fired it up tonight for a drive, and sure enough, the sound is still there.

I should also mention, all the gears in the case looked fine. The timing case was not cracked, and everything seemed to be ok. It looks like it ground on the pin for a while up against the case. Although the hole in the case cover is concerning. It was all the way through.

It sounds just like a vehicle being shifted with bad synchros, but it doesn't make the noise while shifting. It still shifts and holds fine. Drives just like it should but makes a god aweful grinding noise in any gear, sometimes with different throttle input.

The truck is a 95 12v 4x4 with nv4500 trans. Truck has around 125k miles. It has been turned up (3kgsk, 0 plate, sdx injectors, stock turbo) and I drive it relatively hard. It has the stock clutch still which has been slipping for several thousand miles. (under wide open throttle only, 1800-1900rpm)

I assume the KDP is totally unrelated and i must have broken clutch spring, maybe a bearing in the trans or possibly the 5th gear nut has come off and hurt something? (although overdrive still works fine)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. It is my only car as of right now.

Last edited:
well in my 97 nv4500 i was driving and was going through the gears and hit 3rd and it sounded bad like a bearing....... it ended up being the counter shaft and 3rd gear broke teeth off i still could run it and it moved just sounded horrible i wouldnt take the chance off running it and possibly hurting it more.

UPDATE: was driving around having my pops listen to it. It only makes the noise in 2wd. In 4wd its nice and quiet. Transfer case problem?

check your t case, mine made a bad grinding noise, does it stay in 4 wheel drive fine, mine poped out in reverse and 4 low, but the chain was stretched really bad, it would only grind in 2wd, 4wd no grinding but poped out of gear, i put a new chain in the t case and noise went away

I drove it around the block in 4wd, i don't think it will pop out. I ran it through several gears and didn't have any issues.

I think I'll drain the oil out of the transfer case and check for metal shavings and go from there.

Back