12V o-ring head help

That's nowhere near enough damage for a dropped valve.... Customer of mine dropped a valve on a CR and that piston was hardly recognizeable..... LOL

But, I think you're on the right track....

Yes, non ic pistons have larger bowls than IC pistons...... Which is a good thing as you can run more timing with them... (With a narrower IC style injector that is)

What diameter do you machine the o-ring grooves? and the width?

Do you think the damage between the valves will affect anything at all? Whats odd is the head has no dents or dings like the piston does. Just that one dent across the bridge

Have it tanked, vacum tested, surfaced and magnafluxed. Most shops wont even think of bolting on a reciever plate to cut orings without it being surfaced. Do yourself a favor and go with .041 wire set at .008 to .009 protrution on a street/strip setup. A full on strip setup i set to .010 to .011. Another thing to remember is to have self controll untill all retorques are complete!!! We only use .051 wire to do poor o-ringing job repairs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The machine shop has got the head and the first step we agreed on was to get it cleaned up and magnafluxed to make sure its worth continuing on. If we are good to go then he is going to surface it nd then do the o rings. I gave him all the valves with it as well and he said he is going to check all of them to. I told him i wanted the .041 wire and wanted it 8 to 10 protrusion but when he calls me with an update ill let him know no taller than .008. Thanks for the great help

Before i found this shop to do the head i had a different shop hone the block. Turned out good but when i got it back and got some of the head surface cleaned up i noticed grooves around 1 of the holes like where the fire ring of the headgasket would be. A couple of the other holes have it about 1/4 way around. Is this common? I guess im going to have the block decked as well and use a thicker gasket to compensate

just heard bad news from the machine shop. 20 cracks in my head and the valves still need to be replaced. I am in search of a new head. where does one get a new head? I was looking on ebay and found a couple new ones for about 580 shipped but i dont want to get some knock off one. Any ideas thanks

Get the later style 12 v head. Your first gen head has the larger injector holes 9mm vs the later 7 mm injector holes. if you want to use your current injectors cummins has special injector washers to make up the difference. I'd look at a Hamilton head,
Thanks,
Deo

I got a new loaded head from cummins and it has the 7mm holes. I gasket matched the exhaust side and its at the machine shop for o rings right now. Im going to get new pistons after all. Im thinking about going with the 370 marine pistons from cummins or mahle. I know they need a 155 spray pattern but im worried about them hazing or hard starting. I was going to have ccp build me some injectors for it

Back