12v valve issues

Big Bertha

About 6 months ago I had the head machined for a fire rings and had the head redone, surfaced, valve job, new seals and all that. Im having problems with the push on type valve stem seals staying down since im pushing 60+psi through my s300. Ive been doing some reading and everyone pretty much says that I need to go to the top hat style valve stem seals and in that reading some say that the head needs to be machined for these new style seals. How do you tell if you need to have machining done for the seals. I really dont feel like having to rip the head back off to do this but I dont really like having oil blowing out past my valve covers and leaking oil all over my engine. Any help or what not would be much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top hat style seals = Problem solved. Not all heads need machining. Pull your springs and check one.

i talked to my machine guy, he pretty much said not to work about it and that if i wanted i could put "race car" filters on all the valve covers and that its a common issue and that it wont hurt the engine but to me that kinda seems stupid because valve seals are there for a reason and they kinda do an important job so..... im kinda lost on what to do.

No valve seals on the street, NOPE! I had a few come up and it hazed like a steam powered train! I agree with the previous poster, find a different machinist.

pretty much what i said, valve seals are there for a reason. So what would I have to do to make these top hat style valve seals work without taking the head back off to go to a machine shop. any ideas or help would be great at this point. starting to lose my mind with everything that's been going bad in life, whether i take a dremel to the top hats to grind them down a bit to fit or if i have no choice other than to take the head off and take it to a machinist

If its leaking at the valve covers, that's blowby pressure and not related to valve stem seals. Add a screw in valve cover breather in place of your oil fill plug. Valve seals would cause it to use oil and smoke, not leak at valve cover.

jasonc, the valve stem seals are up and not locked on the head anymore. its going to blow pressure up around the valve stems and all that since i am pushing 60psi causing me to have a lot of pressure in the top end which if i think correctly would then cause me to blow the valve cover gaskets out and leak oil around the mating surface?

. I don't know if you could trim the springs or if that's even a good idea. I would just take it off and have done right.

Last edited:
not trimming the spring, its the washer piece of the top hat section that sits under the spring. i need to get the tool to remove the valve spring first to see if it fits without having to do some fitting

I believe they fit, it's the added thickness that causes coil bind unless you machine the pocket deeper.

Back