12v valve spring pad milling?

high line

Is it safe to mill the valve spring pads down 0.100 . Is water close or do they crack?

I need to gain install height. Need to gain .120, i can gain .050 with locks and grind .070 on pads. Or i can buy longer valves. The valves are about 150 bucks, just on the intakes. If its safe to grind pad alittle id rather do that. Has anyone cut a junk head before?

Won't you have close to $150 in having someone grind the spring pads? Might be about the same money to buy new valves. Just a thought.

if you go with taller valves, how does your rocker arm geometry look? Thats a lot of extra height on stock arms and rods. Milling keeps you closer to stock geometry. At least if I'm reading that correctly...

if you go with taller valves, how does your rocker arm geometry look? Thats a lot of extra height on stock arms and rods. Milling keeps you closer to stock geometry. At least if I'm reading that correctly...

Im not sure on geometry. The longer valves are around .100 longer than stock. If structural integrity is not a problem, we will mill. I would like to keep geometry as close to stock.

Won't you have close to $150 in having someone grind the spring pads? Might be about the same money to buy new valves. Just a thought.

The pads have to be inlarged for the springs anyway, I dont think my machinist will charge xtra to go deeper.

Last edited:
good question. i wouldnt cut the pocket that deep. ive chopped a head and its just not a good idea. leave the spring pocket depth the same. you should either get a shorter spring with a different spring rate or use a taller valve. ive got a few different setups that work on these heads with a stock length valve so you keep your rocker geometry but have a better spring than the average over than counter street setup #60 stuff. you can call me or pm me on here with any questions. i can give you some phone numbers of companies i buy springs and valves from. they can steer you in the right direction. 8126980851. have a good one.

good question. i wouldnt cut the pocket that deep. ive chopped a head and its just not a good idea. leave the spring pocket depth the same. you should either get a shorter spring with a different spring rate or use a taller valve. ive got a few different setups that work on these heads with a stock length valve so you keep your rocker geometry but have a better spring than the average over than counter street setup #60 stuff. you can call me or pm me on here with any questions. i can give you some phone numbers of companies i buy springs and valves from. they can steer you in the right direction. 8126980851. have a good one.

Thanks. I found some valve locks that add .100 . Im running manley valves and beehive pac springs.

Back