14mm head studs

DEZLFREK

my licence plate says it
im thinking about my next build and what are your thoughts no 14mm studs? im running 625's in this motor but im not sure its the best it can be. who has gone this route? im running stock head gaskets also. i believe if the head lifts it doesnt matter what kind of sealing ring or gasket you have it is going to leak. thats why im thinking 14mm would hold the most.
anyway this is going to be for a dragrace/daily driver. im not sure if im going with twins and nitrous or a big single and nitrous yet but the laundry list with be;
13mm pump,
stainless 4t with either 476/92/1.10 or 468/74/88 over 488/96/1.32
hamilton head
marine pistons with .100 reliefs
im thinking im going to takes some off the block and top of the pistons to raise the compression back up to around 17:1
polished rods
im not sure on the cam yet but i really like my dp4 cam but ill have to get with zach on this for his head..
for reliability ill go with a manual vb 48re..
i want to do a first gen short bed 4link deal.. thats what i have in my head right now.. only time will tell..

My opinion is the 625's and 14mm have the same clamp force. I think you should have more thread contact to distribute that out. I think the small studs are stronger than the threaded surface area used.

That being said, if I was building a street motor with a single charger I would use a marine hg and standard arp studs. If twins are used with big boost and drive numbers, then I would go 14mm stud and firering.

There are allways certain circumstances but this is my generalized opinion

ive heard in the past that 14s weaken the block from the material taken out.. what do you think about that? i also remember they used to torque 14's to around 220psi of which now i think they recommend you max them at 180psi.. im not sure.
who sells the 14mm studs cheap?

I have an extra set of brand new 24v/cr 14mm 625+'s in the garage I would part with, if you are looking for the best.

man i didnt know they made 14mm 625's.. im going to be doing a 12v hamilton head.. thanks for the offer.. im sure someone will pick these up from you.

ya dang i bet.. i can understand how you can break a block with those bad dogs.. anyone have a part number for them? how much to those go for? who sells em for a good deal? ive got a ways to go before i need em but i know what i want now...

If the threads will hold(which they will be some deal stronger due to longer circumference), they will be 36% stronger than 12mm units.

I have seen problems with a 14mm head stud. Blocks cracking, Theads stripped. If it is'nt broke don't fix it. Never had a problem with a 12mm head stud. But i also torque mine to 140 lbs.

I run 14mm's with a single O-Ring in the head since early 04 and have yet to have an issue with either.

Jim

well the 14mm 625's run about 2k a set and you have to get 3 sets made if you want that price. If you want one set it will run you 3500.. they do not have any 12v made yet. if we could get a group purchase together for something down the road we could get some more leverage.. but if not ill prolly just get some a1's

Back