15 seconds for oil pressure?

Ugly Dodge

Like the title says. It takes 15 seconds to build oil pressure. I never noticed before Covid19 since. I’m not essential. So it’s been sitting a lot. It’s got 400,000 miles. 25MPG. Lots of power. Easy to start. Fresh oil change. Fleetguard. The truck however has been through hell. I’m wondering how close to death the old ISB is.

I'd put a manual oil pressure gauge on it to check.
The sensor is only a switch, and the gauge in the dash is only there to make you feel better. If it really was taking 15 seconds to pressure up, I would think that you'd hear the overhead clattering while the rockers waited for the oil to reach them.

If I start it after it’s been running for a while it gets pressure pretty quick. If that’s relevant.

I'd put a manual oil pressure gauge on it to check.
The sensor is only a switch, and the gauge in the dash is only there to make you feel better. If it really was taking 15 seconds to pressure up, I would think that you'd hear the overhead clattering while the rockers waited for the oil to reach them.

I second the aforementioned motion to install the mechanical gauge. All those in favor say "aye"

aye

Handy little port on top of the filter housing. Grease gun hose. Gauge. :D

Aye.

15 seconds is a pretty long time as Jeff mentioned. Is that a guess or have you actually timed it? My sensor is in the filter head Jory mentioned and it takes 3, maybe 4 seconds to register.

It doesn’t do it warm. The bad alternator did wipe out almost all the electronics (multi function switch, cig light, wiper switch, lots of wiring, etc. ) So I’ll do a gauge when it gets cold again. I’m not panicked because 12 valves are $500.00 -1000.00 locally. I also got multiple tow truck drivers on speed dial. I also had a LF9028 on it before. I switched back to a lf3894 recently. T6 oil every time. Sorry for leaving info out.

What is your local? I’ll take two 12v’s at that kinda price.

What is your local? I’ll take two 12v’s at that kinda price.

Ohio Craigslist. The latest deal was a VE with the engine stand too. Not too uncommon to find one with a p7100 at a grand. I can’t find ISBs under 1500 which I think is somewhat weird. U would think 12 valves would be more than ISBs.

Put a gauge on it. Same result.

It was brought up to me switching from 5w40 to 15w40 maybe the culprit. Also I noticed on oil changes the filter isn’t full.

I was advised to drive it once a week to prevent the bearings from drying up.

EDIT: I’ve only run t6 5w40. I was advised to go back to 15w40 what the engine originally calls for.

Last edited:
Back