15psi 4x4 Launch breaking front u-joint

Gasoline Sucks

slow 12v
I have been breaking my front axle u-joint on the axle side. Its actually not the joint that breaks but the straps them selves or the small bolts that hold them in.

After letting this happen twice which only took a few 15psi launches I got sick of the front shaft slinging loose and beating the hell out of my BD deep trans pan at 60mph.

So I pulled the yoke off the front diff and drilled the bolt holes out to 3/8s. Then I bought the strongest GM style U joint u-bolts I could find and put some weld on the ends of the yoke so the caps couldnt slide out. I havent broke it yet but I havent tried much.

My question is what do you guys get them to stay together with your real 400+hp trucks? Are these 13.10 u joints just totally useless at my 400ish power level? :pop:

info/ pics appreciated, if I have to fix it again I want it to be the last time. :Cheer:

that wont stop it from breaking.

My point is I dont have any real power yet, so it should not break, so I should not need them yet.

Is there some 14.10 conversion im missing or what?

I don't know anyone with ujoint issues. I've boost launched mine enough to have total faith in the stockers.

Have you broke a yoke yet? Thats a lot of fun. Im guess you might have a little bit too much axle wrap?

A buddy of mine had this problem we work at a salvage yard and he ended up putting a ford yoke and a different u-joint. If youd like I can talk to him tomorrow and see what the yoke actually came off of but since he swapped it it hasnt had problems yet.

Have you broke a yoke yet? Thats a lot of fun. Im guess you might have a little bit too much axle wrap?

He was talking about the front I thought. Have people had issues with wrap in the front? thats another thing I've never heard of.

No I dont think i broke a yoke. I have broke the caps and when the caps didnt break They broke the straps or small screws that hold them in place. I have also busted an H joint pulling my boat through the sand like a tractor pull. :D I just have a couple friends with duramax that I need to line up with and dont want it to break so they can claim victory :eek: Plus I want to get to the track and breaking there would be embarrassing...

Do any of you have a leveling kit? Could that be my issue?

It sucks i have no faith in it cause it feels strong from 20 if I can get traction.

You can get D60 flanges somewhat like what the 3rd gens have. You will need a driveshaft made up but it would solve your problem.

SANY0004.jpg

I had 1480 joints on my puller. I never had any problems with it. If it can take that for 8 or 9 years of sled pulling. I don't think you will break it. I think Enterprise Engine sells them for a Dana 60.

Thanks for the info and pm's everyone!

I am going to instal some driveshaft hoops and see if it will break the GM style 3/8s ujoints. If (when :rolleyes:) it does I will be upgrading to 1410 along with a 2nd supersized hair dryer and a bunch more timing :D

Back