1st Time Diesel owner needs direction

QWK-SUV

Hello everyone!!

Just a brief introduction I am new to the diesel world and never have owning one I made a call to a close friend who referred me to this site for help. My brother lost his battle with cancer a month ago and left me his truck and boat and I know he had plans to do some minor upgrades to the truck to make it more fun to drive so I'm going to fulfill what he wanted to do and not wait around for it because knowing him he's impatiently waiting for me to do so....SO here is what I want to do

1.Tune it (have no idea which tune/product)
2.Cold Air Intake?
3.Exhaust?

Coming from the Dodge/Jeep Gas world I am very capable of doing Diablos tuning, datalogging, dataviewer and understand what most of the parameters are needed to log to tune safely but I have no idea what diesels can handle or need so any help would be most appreciated.
The truck is not driven daily, it's mainly used to pull a 30' speed boat he left me and some light duty trailer hauling. Maybe a DD tune, Spirited race tune, tow/haul tune???? Again thanks for helping a newbie here.

Wow! Welcome to CompD! Sorry to hear about your brother. You have set a landmark 1st inquiry from a newcomer! Im mostly a Dodge guy so Ill let the GM guys answer the questions you have.

Since you havea LLY there are a few things that are best done up front before adding much power. A good lift pump kit to get the fuel up to the CP3 as the fuel filter will tend to plug too much for a big tune and a good exhaust system. These 2 items are a good base to build from. If your plans are to go much above +100 HP then your going to need to upgrade the transmission and torque converter to hold the power. Take your time and do a little at a time and it helps on the pocket book.

Low pressure switch may be the culprit on the a/c if it blows colder when at speed.
Intakes are a waste for what you want really. See Kennedydiesel.com for his airbox mod and use a good drop in filter. MBRP makes excellent fitting exhaust and deals can be found on them.
Tuners I would research PPE and EFILIVE.com and decide which direction you would like to take.

Back