2.6 puller motor budget build

bigstacks95

Diesel Doc
Hey guys... looking for some advice. First complete Cummins engine build although I've done plenty of the typical head gasket and bolt on stuff on all the Cummins motors.

Anyways.... I have a 97 International casting Cummins motor I am freshing up. All apart right now and everything on the bottom end is in spec. I have access to a good lathe and mill so I was planning on fly cutting my own pistons and modifying the bowl. I was curious if anyone has some recommendations on bowl size or design. Not sure what I am running for injectors yet, though I have a set of 8x.010's kicking around I picked up used from Contagious a long time ago. Not sure on the angle, but I could always sell those and go another route.

So my main question is, what should I be doing with my pistons? Just remove the lip? Don't touch them? What kind of compression ratio would I be looking at with the lip removed?

Any advice with my build is appreciated. Trying to do things on a budget....

Delipping the bowl to 62mm only knocks off ~ 0.5cc, very good option. Flycutting would depend on the cam, but again I wise choice. I wouldn't waste my time with the 8x0.010" nozzle.

Thank you! whats a typical flycut depth? I remember reading something like .070 somewhere? Is that right? And what kind of compression ratio would I be looking at with that?

I was thinking about the Colt stage 5 cam, which is 199*/218*. I will eventually call them and pick their brains and see what they recommend for a fly cut.

There is no typical fly cut, it all depends on the camshaft. If the depth was known, a good estimate on the compression ration could be determined.

I just talked to Colt. They say usually about .075 on a fly cut. Any idea on a compression ratio?

Back