2000 engine going in 2001 truck what is needed to make work?

06cumminspower

I have a 2000 engine out of a wrecked truck and guy is buying it to go into a 2001 truck, I know there are some harness/ electronic issues that are unique to 01/02 trucks I know it has something to do with 01/02 not having a crank sensor for the vp but what is needed to do the swap?

you need to be very careful... if the cam sensor is in a different location, you'll need to swap timing covers and cam gears (cams)

It has been 5 years since I swapped a 98 into an 01, but I'm pretty sure: I went ahead, while it was out, and swapped timing case, cam sensor, and cam. Worked flawlessly.

yeah, I don't recall what the build date cutoff is on that difference, but I speak from experience... if you DON'T swap that stuff, you're gonna have a bad time! :(

one guy told me that he would need to swap ecm, pcm, harness and even under dash harness that the 01 pcm would not communicate properly with the dash and cause "low bus" but pulling cam even though not fun sounds much easier.

Yep. With the engine out, it's easy. You may have to use your old MAP sensor, also. That's the "fo sho" way. No communication, wiring, or computer issues.

Cam gear is different for the 01 vs the 00. There is a tone ring on the back side of the 01 cam gear. Timing case is the same as 2000. Just swap cam and map sensors.

There is a slight difference in the front cases. I did this swap and just put the 2001 cam and gear in the 2000 motor, when we tried to start had no cam signal.

Switched the front timing case and all was well.

If you swap the cam you are only a few bolts away from having the cases swapped and its a lot easier to do it on the ground.

If you lay the coves on the ground beside each other there is a small difference on location of the cam sensor hole. Its hard to notice

Finally got some pics! This should help out. You can see the 01 cam has a bolt on tone ring, 98-00 (I believe) just has a notch milled out.
Gears case has the cam sensor in different spots, also.
00ffb945be8f2e886cc39fe4efc2ebc8.jpg

289291060c4743df1a043f37185d443b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back