2001 ram 2500 v10 to cummins 12 valve tach problems

v10to12v

New here! Back story - i pulled a 96 cummins 12 valve out of a beat 2500. Very Low blowby and no mods other then the afc.

Swapped the v10 for the cummins - Very straightforward but I cannot get the tach working. i am using the v10 harness, pcm and cluster for now. I put 10 notches into the harmonic balancer to mimic the crank notches on the v10. Using the cummins crankshaft sensor, I wired it the v10 harness. 5v, signal and ground. It's getting 5v but no tach- clearence is set to.050" I have not bench tested the sensor as I do not know the operating values.

Before going and buying a new crankshaft sensor, I am tempted to reuse the v10 sensor and make shift mounting it to the crank. That would absolutely have to work as it would be similar to the stock setup.

Maybe the correct cluster would work but I don't see why this setup is not. Does anyone have an idea?

The '01 2500 V-10 has a cam sensor and a crank sensor, both report to the PCM which is where the cluster gets its signal. I can't tell if the tach signal is from cam or crank sensor from the wiring diagrams. Is it possible it uses the cam sensor like the '01 diesel does for the tach signal?

The '01 2500 V-10 has a cam sensor and a crank sensor, both report to the PCM which is where the cluster gets its signal. I can't tell if the tach signal is from cam or crank sensor from the wiring diagrams. Is it possible it uses the cam sensor like the '01 diesel does for the tach signal?

Well the cam sensor looks for 1 tab. I had both cam and crank going to the crank sensor originally. I guess I need to reread the wiring diagrams for both and figure it out...

I'm going to try using the v10 crank sensor in place of the cummins...

Out of frustration, I took the v10 crank sensor and compared it to the cummins. The cummins had a much more powerful magnet.

So I Hacked away until I could mount the v10 securly to the crank bracket. I also took the camshaft sensor signal and tied that in with the crank sensor and boom! Tach is working.

Alt still isn't charging but at least an external regulator is an easy fix.

Back