2006 f350 12v fuel pump question

regulator

Should I use the ford lift pump to feed the factory lift pump on the cummins or discard it and just tie into the lines. The truck is a cab & chassis so it has dual tanks but it looks like the valve for them is between the tanks and the ford pump. If I did keep the ford pump in place would I be able to tie the 12v return line into the ford return without any issues. Thanks, Tom Wolfe

It depends how much volume the ford pump can pull. If it cant keep up with the cummins pump then the ford pump will be a big 'ol restriction. You might try getting a sump or draw straw for the feed, and you can still tie into the factory return. Just remember to unhook the fuel pump electronics other than the fuel level sending wire

It depends how much volume the ford pump can pull. If it cant keep up with the cummins pump then the ford pump will be a big 'ol restriction. You might try getting a sump or draw straw for the feed, and you can still tie into the factory return. Just remember to unhook the fuel pump electronics other than the fuel level sending wire

I don't think I need a draw straw. The ford pump is on the frame rail. Thanks for the input.

On my 99 i cut out all the ford fuel lines and pump and used an airdog for the 12v and just tied straight into my lines on the tank. The lines are stainless and i just took a flaring tool and flared the ends and then a hose clamp to fasten them. Worked good. I haven't had any issues yet. I hope this helps

Dual tanks... missed that. I would think you would be able to put a T in your lines and have some short rubber hoses to connect into both tanks and just run the return into the T.

on mine i just ran the ford fuel pump and used it to "boost" the stock dodge pump.

Dual tanks... missed that. I would think you would be able to put a T in your lines and have some short rubber hoses to connect into both tanks and just run the return into the T.

The valve that controls which tank your using is between the factory pump and the tanks. That can stay in place whether I use the factory lift pump or not. Each tank has its own pickup and its own return and and at the valve it goes to one of each, then through the pump and to the engine. Thanks for the advice, I like to hear peoples ideas. I don't have any gearhead buddies to brainstorm with.

I used the factory pump also ,seems to work fine,I did add a pressure regulator with a return and have it set at 15psi which it maintains at wide open ,its worked well for 15000 miles and lots of that towing. JMO

I used the factory pump also ,seems to work fine,I did add a pressure regulator with a return and have it set at 15psi which it maintains at wide open ,its worked well for 15000 miles and lots of that towing. JMO

I assume it was a 3 port regulator, if so did you T the return from the reg. into the factory return?

Doesn't the12v need like 35-50 PSI to the ip. And I know the frame mounted 6.0 fuel pumps puts about 50-60 psi regulated at filter housing. So I think it should be fine if your running the factory sized lines.

Joe

Back