2008 emission issues

Kman9090

Well to start my truck has been in and out of the dealership for a month now. Goes back to the first of August when I noticed my check engine light was on and wouldn't build more then 20lbs of boost. Took it to the dealership and they put a new egr in it (2nd one in 8 months and 8k miles).

Get the truck back and within 60 miles same problem again. Truck is very low on power and wont build any boost. Take the truck back to them and they say a sensor was dirty from egr install.

Get the truck back and within 40 miles another check engine light. Same problem truck very low on power and no boost. I had no option but to drive the truck since we were going boating that weekend. Towed my 8Klb boat 2hrs to where we were going. No weird noises no obvious issues other then no power and no boost. On the way back home the truck started making a noise that sounded like a boot had blown. Just the noise of air rushing coming from the motor bay. Issue though that the boost gauge was showing me burying the stock 40lb boost gauge, but still had no power. No smoke out the exhaust either. Took the truck to the dealership and somehow the noise had went away. They talked to Ford Tech hotline and they said to replace the intake sensor. Intake sensor was full of soot they said. They replaced it and I picked it up and within 40 miles same problem again. Except this time it would barely pull 10lbs of boost.

Took it back to the dealer and took for a test drive and didn't have any issues, ran great. Plugged it into scanner and showing the 401 code again. Also opening the egr to 99 percent open.

Anybody have any idea what it could be? Dealership is thinking maybe the exhaust is clogged and going to pressure test it. I will say it smlls like it is in regen mode all the time. I didn't want to delete all the emission stuff but it sounds like that is the direction I need to take.

84,000 and on my third egr, I just want to make sure before I delete it that this is in fact the problem. Can a clogged DPF be causing me all these problems or do you think its another faulty EGR. I had my first one replaced and this one went bad and Ford said it was faulty. So I was just wondering if maybe this EGR is faulty? Ford says theres no way it could be bad all ready, but I have my doubt's. It's doing the exact same thing it was doing as it was with a faulty egr. Just don't know why the dealership don't put a new EGR in it before charging me a fortune to figure it out. Seems like they want me to keep throwing money at it, before they try another egr.

The longer you leave it in there the more damaging it is to your motor. I would rather have no warranty than have an egr.

I understand that, the problem I have is if I go get it from the dealer and delete everything and that isn't the problem. If I was 100 percent sure that was the problem it would all ready be done.

Try another dealer, some are very experienced with emission trucks and others are not. I personally don't like deleting a truck the has current problems, get it running ok for a least a couple days then pull it all.

Turns out it was the K&N filter causing all the problems, as dumb as that may sound it was. Took it out and replaced with a stock one and didnt have any more problems.

Back