24v p pump fuel issue

1500hd03

I have a 2001 24v that I bought with a 160 pump on it. I am trying to get it running, and I can't seem to get fuel to the injectors. I am using a low psi lift pump, but I am getting some fuel from the overflow. I opened the number one line and it seems to be dry. Any ideas why I'm not getting fuel out of the IP?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Shutoff solenoid keeping the shutoff lever pulled all the way up? What kinda fuel pressure do you have?

maybe air in the lines, crack a few open and crank till fuel comes out.

I'm pretty sure I have the Shutoff Solenoid in the correct position. Could there be an internal problem with the Shutoff? I will try cracking a few lines at a time to release any air. Lift pump is around 10 psi. Thanks!

after takin off the injector lines or what have you, and there is a large air bubble, i usually crack all the injector lines (on injector end) crank it over a couple times, hop out and hopefully see fuel dripping around that area then tighten them all up except #1, i leave it cracked ever so slightly then fire the motor, hop out and tighen it up... works damn good for "speed bleeding" if you will

if the shut off lever is up and your not getting fuel to the injectors there is a possibility that the rack is stuck. Happened to me....

Mine wouldn't even try to start when I was testing it with a 15psi Carter lift pump. That overflow should be puking fuel. 20 psi or more....

I'm pretty sure I have the Shutoff Solenoid in the correct position. Could there be an internal problem with the Shutoff? I will try cracking a few lines at a time to release any air. Lift pump is around 10 psi. Thanks!

Theres part of your problem if not the entire problem. P pumps need around 30psi + to keep them happy.

Theres part of your problem if not the entire problem. P pumps need around 30psi + to keep them happy.

While 10 psi is not ideal, I ran for months on my VP FASS system, ran about 18 psi. Drove just fine. My 12v, when I bought it, was at 14psi at all times. It was a bit sluggish and mileage wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible for a stock truck. The bump in pressure did make a difference on that truck though.

As for issues, take your solenoid right off. Pull off the AFC and plate and look to see if the rack is moving. If it is, you should be good. Then crank the truck and give it some throttle. When I change injector/take off lines and what have you, I never bother cracking the lines. About quarter throttle is enough to clear the lines in about 5 seconds, and it runs rough for 5 seconds or less in my experience. These aren't a pain in the ass to bleed like the VP's.

Thanks for all the advice! I've been really busy with work, and I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Back