271 transfer-Differences between Gas/Diesel

kleann

VP44 pwr
Is there any differences in the 271 cases? the one I'm looking at is out of a 2500 hemi, will it be just as strong as the diesel?

I would think they are the same. Pay attention to the spline count on the input shaft.

no same 271 man. shift 273 elec. shift. the only diff between the gas and diesel is the u joints. diesel 1480 gas 1410 get the right yoke. the inputs on the t-case are different if their is a auto or man in front of it

My '04 dodge 3500 came with 1410 joints. They are the same case.

The ford would be stronger I think. I have posted a pic on here of the mainshafts laying side by side before. Either one isn't going to be your weak link. You can basically use anyone one you want to, just address the input shaft (swap as necessary) and deal with the output shaft or flange as necessary.

You can even swap an electric version for a manual shift but you need a different front case half and a few internal parts.

Off the top of my head, Input and Mainshafts are the only differences between the Ford and Dodge. I could be wrong though. It has happened before.

T-caseinstall054.jpg

Both mainshafts neck down going into the splines so I don't see much of a strength gain there.

Last edited:
apple to oranges.. my favorite is bolt on yokes or flanges like a ford.. and no cheesy slip joints...like the dodge has...
thats just me though.
Thanks,
deo

Back