2nd gen, leaf swap from 3rd gen?

kawi600

got Coal for Christmas
Anyone got info or a link to a writeup on a leaf spring upgrade on a 2nd gen? I was set to buy something or mod what I have but it seems like more can be done with the 3rd gen setup. Looks like it needs a front mount relocated, and a rear flip to make it work?
I installed Don Thuren's coil and shock kit and its helped a lot but the rear rate is made for a heavy load. Id like to find something with a soft rate and overload springs that kick in once it squats a bit. If Im going to shell out the big bucks for an aftermarket leaf I may as well set it up for a 3rd gen style while Im at it.

Not really sure this was from a conversation with don thuren a few months ago. he said it was a good mod for the 2nd gen. Trying to get some more infos

the short leaf and thicker spring probably helps keep wrap under control. if I lengthen the spring and make the spring softer Ill probably need to also get traction bars on it too.
sounds like I do need to relocate the mounts. question is how far and does anything interfere
yeah I like DOR's flip kit, thats probably what Ill get along with the ubolts

Last edited:
I have a 2000 2nd gen that I converted to 3rd Gen leafs. I dropped some serious coin on a 3rd Gen Carli 6" Suspension setup with Deaver leaf springs and coils, King 3.0 quadruple bypass shocks for the rear and 3.0 smoothies up front.

I relocated the front leaf mount forward about 3 1/2 inches and down about 2". I then cut the factory shackle hanger off, shaved down the backside, re-drilled the mounting holes and flipped it. I then had to make a pair of custom shackles to get the spring height located where a 3rd gen spring would be. If you are planning on going this route, you can't use the DOR shackle flip with the Carli or Thuren 3rd Gen springs...unless you want your truck with a silly 10" lift.

This is the thread that has the details of my conversion.
http://dodgetrucksxtreme.com/index.php?topic=12032.0

Back