2nd gen transmission crossmembe differences?

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Are there different transmission crossmembers for 2nd gen trucks for auto, 5spd or 6spd?

My puller is an 02 that was originally a 6spd and the cross member is very wide. I've seen many write-ups where 5spd trucks have swapped to a 271 t-case without issue, but when I put the 5spd in my truck with 271, the front driveshaft flange mating surface is nearly touching the crossmember. I certainly can't put a driveshaft in unless I cut and weld a clearance section in the cross member.

Does anyone with a 5spd and 271 have pictures of their cross member and the clearance on the front driveshaft?

I believe my 94 had a narrow cross member with the 47rh (did this a couple years ago). I swapped to an 47re and had to change the cross member to the wide style. With the 271 I had to cut out a section to clear the driveshaft, even on a lowered truck.

Thanks Lee, Ill either trim the crossmember and weld a piece of pipe back in to create clearance or I may just scrap it altogether and build my own from scratch thats light and minimal with maximum clearance.

May not help, but my 1997 Dodge with 47RE came with a narrow. I was told to get a wide for my G56 swap, but instead modified my 47RE one so I wouldn't have the issue you're talking about.

The wide vs. narrow crossmember changed in 98. Both of my 98's have the wide ones, while my budddy's 97 was the narrow.

Back