3200 or 3800 Spring

dbshelton

Now I have both 3200 and 3800 governor springs and I'm trying to decide which to use in my bus swap. Read quite a bit and still can't decide which to use. Does the 3800 have to be shortened to use? If so, how much?

It can either be shortened to stock length or you need to turn the throttle index tighter to take up the slack.

I wouldn't recommend running the 3800 on stock valve springs but it can be done.

I would run the 3800 from personal experience. I love the 4200 I've had in an old truck.

If you don't shorten the spring, you can re-index the throttle. It won't line up with the stock 11/5 o-clock marks that the stock length springs use. You may have to mess with it a few times.

I like The Hungry Diesel

Eric is a tad higher than a genuine Bosch shop would be. I recommend him highly for customer service and decent pricing. That and he is a 1st gen lover. He focuses on 1st gens and caters to them rather than offering a bunch of products and may have a thing or 2 for 1st Genners.

Eric is a tad higher than a genuine Bosch shop would be. I recommend him highly for customer service and decent pricing. That and he is a 1st gen lover. He focuses on 1st gens and caters to them rather than offering a bunch of products and may have a thing or 2 for 1st Genners.

Yes, most suppliers have 1st gen parts as an afterthought. I guess the real money is in the newer parts. I own a 1st 2nd and 3rd gen but certainly prefer messing with the 1st and 2nd gen engines.

I bought mine off of ebay it's the 3200 what a huge difference it makes. If
You already have the upgraded springs I would do the 3800 why not

All of my trucks have been manual so I can't help you much, BUT like Jon said the 4,200 is fun with a hand shaker! 38x is good with the pivot ball on the inner hole. Super twitchy!

I think I may try the 3200 spring first. I really don't want a throttle that is twitchy. After all, its going in a 13,000# bus. Thanks.

Go with the 3200 spring. That's all I run now days. Tried the 4200 and didn't like it much the darn throttle was way too touchy and when hitting the switch backs with a trailer it was just horrid.

Just my 2cts for what it is worth.

Stomp

I have a question. I'm running a 3200 gov spring. When hooked to the sled 1st gear hits 3200 but when I shift to second the most I can get is 2400. It doesn't matter how much I'm loaded that's all it will do. Any recommendations as to what else I can do to get more rpm under full load without buying a different spring?

#1stgen,3200gov,Hx40,30psi,maxedpump,Hdliftpump

Last edited:
That sounds like you are not making enough power to turn 3200 rpm in second gear, or its in your trans setup.

Back