390hp on over fueled 351cw?!

zfaylor

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Finally dynod my truck today on the DC Chassis dyno in brownsburg at the Purdue Diesel club dyno day.

First run went 385HP. Only saw it hit 35lbs on the boost gauge.

Convinced them to load it harder on the 2nd run and got it to 390hp/954torque. Still only got it to 37lbs.

Question is how common is it to consistently see 40+ lbs on the street and be told they cannot load it to see more than 37 on the dyno??

Not disappointed at all with the day just thought it was kind of odd.

It's harder to see peak boost on intertia dynos, even when brake boosting.

Did you run in direct or OD? Also, if the fuel comes on too fast it's hard to reach peak boost/power on a dyno

Alright I mean I knew I wasn't getting cheated or anything was just curious if that was the norm for all dynos. I did some reading this morning and saw that inertia dynos are much more difficult to load and that explains the lack of boost. Just thought the 390 number was a bit low.

I was hoping to break 400 with my setup. Hoping to reach a number and actually doing it are two different things though so I am not disappointed.

Did you run in direct or OD? Also, if the fuel comes on too fast it's hard to reach peak boost/power on a dyno

He ran in OD for two runs. I had always thought you should run in your 1:1 which is 4th. I understand why he ran in 5th now. He was trying to load it a little harder I am guessing.

I like running in OD, it's made more accurate numbers for the few times I've dyno'd my truck. At least you have a good starting point. Maybe try to find a load dyno for the next time around.

I going to dyno my 95' with a 351cw after I install my new tc and procomp pump.I'm hoping to get similar numbers. Aside from the size of the charger I think my 5x10s will be holding me back.

Last edited:
i wasn't paying attention to my gauges when i dyno'd mine but with the spring gate it seemed to hover right around there for boost pressure. what injectors?

Years ago when I had a 99' 24 valve with an He351cw, I had ported the wastegate larger and modified the rod (shortened it) and added a boost elbow. This allowed me to make 47 psi on the street. On a dynojet 248hd, I was able to get three runs ranging from 482 to 499 rwhp. On the dyno, the max boost was 42psi. Fueling was a stock SO VP44, Edge Jammer 5 nozzles, Quadzilla Adrenaline, Holley Blue Lift Pump. Those were corrected numbers and the correction factor was 1.03 so that means the true raw numbers were 3% lower than what I posted for HP.

One more think to consider is that boost was being read with the factory map sensor via the quadzilla adrenaline. There's a high likelyhood that that boost was higher than what showed up on the electronic display since the factory map sensor was designed to run more than 38psi or so.

Years ago when I had a 99' 24 valve with an He351cw, I had ported the wastegate larger and modified the rod (shortened it) and added a boost elbow. This allowed me to make 47 psi on the street. On a dynojet 248hd, I was able to get three runs ranging from 482 to 499 rwhp. On the dyno, the max boost was 42psi. Fueling was a stock SO VP44, Edge Jammer 5 nozzles, Quadzilla Adrenaline, Holley Blue Lift Pump. Those were corrected numbers and the correction factor was 1.03 so that means the true raw numbers were 3% lower than what I posted for HP.

Do you remember your torque numbers? I'm drilling my wastegate and slapping a rebuild/exhaust wheel on the 351 before I put it on my 12v

Looks like the highest torque number was 949.6 ft lbs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I laid down a similar torque number. My HP curve isn't really a curve. It ramps up to 390 and stays there on a flat line the entire run. I will try to get a copy of my dyno run up.

when i dyno'd with the he351 it flat lined at 467hp. torque was a bit higher. throw more injector at it and it will make over 400hp, zfaylor.

thanks for all of the input! Im going to throw some larger injectors in and see what I can get out of a CW. Then Twin her!

Back