3k gsk in a 215 pump question.

JKM

I am putting a 3k gov spring kit in a 215 pump I have here, instructions say to remove the two and replace the two inner springs, and leave the large outer spring alone. My problem is I have 3 inner springs, this pump is 100% stock, came off my fathers old truck that I parted out. I can't remember for the life of me how many springs were originally in my 160 pump, I am not sure if I should remove the smallest inner spring and leave it out, or put it back in with the springs from the kit.

Any advice would be great.

Every one I've done has three springs per side (two sides). Take a picture of the pedestal and springs to show up. My guess would be you want only the two new springs and the larger spring (idle spring).

If I remember that was the difference between 3k and 4k was the third spring. 3k has two springs and 4k had extra one that went in the middle.

I wish I had taken a pic, I put it together with just changing the bottom keeper, and changed the two springs from the kit.

I was a little shocked when I pulled it apart and there were 4 springs per side, I know this pump has never been apart other than the 10 plate and timing bump I gave it years ago. It defueled at 2300 rpm so I know there was no spring kit in there previously. i have done several spring kits but it has been a few years, I don't ever remember 4 springs per side from the factory.

This is a 913 pump if that makes some sort of difference, the Google machine didn't find anything like this.

I should add that it had the factory two piece bottom keepers in it when I took it apart, still had the paint on the spring stud inside and the factory lock wire on it when I took it apart. All 4 springs were definetly there from factory.

If I remember that was the difference between 3k and 4k was the third spring. 3k has two springs and 4k had extra one that went in the middle.

You're right. I just went and looked at a Haisley 4k kit and it sure looks like three springs and then you leave your OEM big spring in there.

793893_10151255331220814_317092891_o_zps2c79awvk.jpg

And the picture from their site for good measure:

I think you guys are missing the point, my pump had 4 springs per side from the factory. It defueled at 2300 rpm. I have a 3kgsk to put in, it came with 4 springs and two keepers.

I think you guys are missing the point, my pump had 4 springs per side from the factory. It defueled at 2300 rpm. I have a 3kgsk to put in, it came with 4 springs and two keepers.

Right, so you remove the three smaller springs from each side, and put in your two 'kit' springs per side.
And by keepers, do you mean pedestal's? There's a nut at the end of the Gov Spring rod, not a keeper.

Who's kit did you buy?
Also, I never tell anyone to buy a 3k kit. Putting a 4k kit on loose has better idle (in my experience), supplies more fuel, and is about the same price.

That's the info I was looking for, can't remember who I got the kit from now, it has been here for a couple years, but the instructions referenced removing and replacing the two inner springs. I googled a few different instructions before I posted this and none of them mentioned a third inner spring to be removed. What I call a keeper is what you call a pedestal. I have never heard tell of a stock pump with 4 springs per side.

I would have bought a 4k kit but I already had this kit, and I have heard the 4k was a little touchy for daily driving and towing.

I have heard the 4k was a little touchy for daily driving and towing.

4k's are only touchy is they are for a sketchy company, and if you're trying to fuel to 5k with them. My Haisley's fuel a little past 4000rpm with them somewhat loose. I have a stronger idle than stock. In fact, I have a very low stall TC so I was trying to lower my idle a lot and it was stable down to the point where oil pressure started dropping, so I had to raise it back up.

Hopefully that info get's you back on the road though!

I have never heard tell of a stock pump with 4 springs per side.

All stock 885, 887, 911, 912, and 913 pumps use 4 springs per side and the 2 piece lower seat. Sounds like the instructions were written for an 838, 841, and 854 pump that only use 3 springs per side and a 1 piece lower seat.

All stock 885, 887, 911, 912, and 913 pumps use 4 springs per side and the 2 piece lower seat. Sounds like the instructions were written for an 838, 841, and 854 pump that only use 3 springs per side and a 1 piece lower seat.

OP, I'd listen to this guy. ^
Especially when it comes to Ppumps.

This might be a useless question because I'll most likely end up sending my pump to Seth, but I purchased a 3k kit and a 4K kit from dap. And the two kits that showed up were the same and I was told the kit does both but would not supply instruction on how I carry out a 3k kit or a 4K kit....

This might be a useless question because I'll most likely end up sending my pump to Seth, but I purchased a 3k kit and a 4K kit from dap. And the two kits that showed up were the same and I was told the kit does both but would not supply instruction on how I carry out a 3k kit or a 4K kit....

I would assume both kits have 2 lower seats and 6 springs total, correct? If so, install all of the springs for a 4k kit (3 per side) and leave the 2 smallest inner springs out for a 3k kit (2 springs per side).

Leave the stock idle springs in the pump (largest O.D. spring in the stock governor).

Just an update here, I put it together with the 4 springs from my kit (two per side) and put the "extra" two very small factory springs back in too. Finally got the truck running, idle is perfect, no weird issues, it will bury the stock tach at 4k rpm. Glad I invested in the heavier valve springs. I am not sure how might it will rev but I let out at 4000 rpm. I was only looking for a solid 3k rpm but I going to leave this as is I think.

Back