3rd Gen TIPM. Let's discuss guts.

4x4dually

Since I've never cracked open, I have a few question. The ultimate answer I'm looking for is, if I tag an additional +12VDC source to say a left turn signal wire, and power it, will it damage the TIPM? I'm assuming the TIPM uses relays inside to control the outputs from the CAN information, but I don't know if they are electro-mechanical or solidstate. I don't think it would reverse current anything and burn anything up, but I'm also not sure how they are sensing the outputs for say the "lamp out" indicators. Don't know if those are sensing current or if they are reading resistance when the circuit is turned off.

Has anyone opened one up or have access to a pwb schematic of the board? Or, does anyone have a burned up one that I can open up and play around with?

Any info would be great. I'm looking to alternate the turn signals and blinky blinky any other lights that I can control by just tagging on an external power source. I could diode them but not sure how it will affect the stupid "lamp out" function of the TIPM....as if anyone can't see with their eyeballs that a light is out and needs a computer to tell them that.

Thanks.

Depends on the current draw LED's I would guess no any other type yes. Contact Mark Nixon for a sacrificial TIPM! He has a pile of them.

Current draw will be the same. Not adding more lights. Just adding an alternate power source.

Back