47re temps for a long trip

dieselhead117

Up and Coming
Hey y'all, quick question, I just swapped a 47re into my truck with a tfod-3 reprogramming kit from transgo. It runs fine but I don't have th heat exchanger hooked up. And because it used to be a manual I don't have a tranny heat indicator either. the catch is that I have to drive home from college for the summer before I have a chance to put a tranny temp gauge in.(this coming wednesday) So I guess i'm asking, should I be worried in the texas heat? it has a deep pan on it also. driving about 3 hours nonstop pretty much all highway? Should I put the heat exchanger on as insurance? how does it even hook up if so?

Thanks,
Archie

I run bout 160* on the highway in 110* heat down here with my built auto. Double deep pan.

You have a cooler correct, your just talking about the exchanger that coolent flows through. I say run it mine is way cooler down the hwy with the converter locked, compared too around town.

I say run it as well. I don't think you will have anything to worry about with all highway driving. Around town in traffic may be a different story though, as it can heat up fast in warmer weather. Just my $.02

if you are running empty you will be fine. if you are hauling a big trailer, not so good.

Just remember when in lockup its no producing near as much heat. So if your worried run it in lockup as often as you can.

Back