47rh 1st gear lock up diy mod?

SCHMITTY

Not enough time
So I thought I found a thread online for using some jb weld to alter a factory valve body for first gear lockup. Anybody know of this ?? I have already put the Transgo tfodhd2 kit in and I'm getting ready to pull the whole thing so I can install my pi billet input and and my billet Tc along with a rebuilt 351cw(hogged out wastegate), 4" downpipe, bd billet flexplate, procomp black pump.

Do you guys think being able to lockup in first instead of second would make a big difference on 0-60 times? I also spend a lot of time on the beach moving heavy fishing boats, pulling out my dads stuck f350, etc..

What's the stall speed of your converter? And what are you trying to achieve by locking up in first? Do you drag race, or just do cool stuff on the street?

Couple hundred Rpm's lower than stock, cool stuff on the street/ road( I live 10 miles out of town) I have 4.10s and 33s and the charger I'm about to swap on my truck is supposed to spool quicker than my wh1c. I plan on taking it to the track sometime but my property is on the beach and I have to pull 10,000 pounds of boat and trailer uphill through sand. This truck already rips down the beach but I wanted to see if I could make it better for pulling a load while I have it out of the truck.

lock up in first would really help keep your trans temps in check while towing, I have this done on my trans no idea how it was done but it is a really nice to have on the odd time I actually need/use it.

I think you meant 2nd gear lockup. The thread is here.

2nd gear automatic lockup - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

The only time I would use 1st or 2nd gear lockup is with an engaged exhaust brake. Then to downshift it would be necessary to remember to unlock and then lockup for the next lower gear and more breaking. Parts are to expensive for locked shifts even with a billet input shaft in place. Yes, even a billet input shaft can break.

A locked 2-3 shift in my truck usually ends up with the rear end sideways or my neck hurting from whiplash... I cant imagine why you would want 1st lock on the street.

Does it benefit while pulling in soft sand 4hi with a heavy Comercial fishing boat behind you? I'm sure 2nd gear is good enough though . It shifts into second quickly anyways.

Last edited:
I think you meant 2nd gear lockup. The thread is here.

2nd gear automatic lockup - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

The only time I would use 1st or 2nd gear lockup is with an engaged exhaust brake. Then to downshift it would be necessary to remember to unlock and then lockup for the next lower gear and more breaking. Parts are to expensive for locked shifts even with a billet input shaft in place. Yes, even a billet input shaft can break.

I just looked at this. Thanks it's what I was looking for. Thanks everybody

Back