47RH, converter Questions...

ComeandTakeIt

So...I picked up a tranny this weekend from a member. Its a 47RH and a billet triple disk converter. The tranny was built in January at a place in Indiana called Jim's Garage (I've heard there's a decent number of guys getting stuff built there, but only a rumor as I am in TX) I'm looking at putting in a billet input, maybe an output while it's out? My questions are:

1. Has anyone dealt with Jim's Garage? (I'm planning and calling and chatting with them)
2. Does anyone know of a company building converter in Light blue? Pics below
2012-10-21181249_zps17131f89.jpg

2012-10-21181315_zpsf3009bf0.jpg

3. There is a hole in the top center of the tranny inside the bell housing about 4" above the input shaft. Is this normal/typical? I haven't been able to find a pic
2012-10-21181045_zpsb215f1f4.jpg

4. Can what I am calling the front plate around the input shaft be removed so that I can replace the shaft? Wondering about the undertaking involved.

5. This question is just for my general knowledge... I noticed on the input shaft there are what seems to be turn marks from a lathe or similar. I looked for markings inside the the tube on the converter and there is nothing. Is this normal on a stock shaft?
2012-10-21181220_zps4c6b9011.jpg

Thanks for the help fellas! :thankyou2:

Here is a link to my build, the 47RH's future home.
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141446

Looks like a recon converter. I've heard good and bad about them. My trans builder gave me one to try out and it's holding so far at ~900hp at the wheels.

Nobody knows whether the hole in the front of the transmission is supposed to be plugged or not? Just curious. And I don't want to install it and have something go wrong. LOL

Nobody knows whether the hole in the front of the transmission is supposed to be plugged or not? Just curious. And I don't want to install it and have something go wrong. LOL

It is the vent for the trans. There is a plastic cover on the inside to deflect oil away and only let air out.

The front cover(pump) can be removed easily. You will have to remove the front band and check endplay after installing the new input. Not hard to do.

Back