47rh vb fine tuning

cumminspwr11

so i just got my tranny all togther and in and im having some problems

form a dead stop if i try and get on it 1st seems to slip/shudder a bit then i shift to 2nd ok, 2nd seems to do the same thing under trottle, i think it wont shift to 3rd unless i push it really hard or put it in lock-up, once lock-up engages it pulls real good and hard, then i put it in od and it goes ok but if i try any throttle it feels like it comes out of od or just slips

i checked the pressures at the accumulator and front servo, they both run pretty close in pressures, 80-90psi at idle and pegs the 110psi gauge under any throttle, im thinking my line pressures are too high and the tv cable may need some adjusting???

In short, try loosening the TV cable about 1/4" and see if it shifts better.

Explanation:
If you loosen the TV cable the tranny will perform the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts sooner. In short, the TV cable adjusts how much governor pressure is required before it will shift 1-2, and 2-3. Governor pressure ramps up at about 1psi per mph but in reality it ramps up based on transmission output shaft speed so if you have different gearing than 3.55, the 1 psi per MPH may not be accurate.

A simple check would be to hook up your test gauge to the governor pressure port and verify that it is correctly ramping up pressure as MPH increases.

im trying to get a better gauge today, i just mod. my aftermarket oil pressure gauge in my triple pillar so i could take some sort of a reading

im going to go mess with the tv cable later today but does anyone think that my line pressure could be to high?

big blue24, i think i have read a few post by you on these trannys and they have been good help, by loosing do you mean moving the cable adjust forward? i have it moved all the way back right now so that when its at max throttle the tv plunger is bottomed out

here is some background on the tranny

the direct drum has been mod. and has 6 clutches and steels in it, the band that goes around it is the hd kevlar one piece band, sonnax billet servo 16% oversized, and 4.2:1 band lever. The next or forward clutch pack has 5 cltuches and steels in it, all clutches are the black material clutches. The vb has a sonnax rapid fill manual valve, upgraded 4 spool boost vavle, i also had the transgo shift kit i sorta installed, i used the blue pr spring and cranked it in about 4-1/2 turns, i also ground the tv valve and installed the white transgo tv spring for 12valves, i kinda wondering if i over did somethings as this is my first tranny experience

First, get a pressure gauge that has a scale of at least 200 or 300 psi. A modified valve body will easily be in the mid 100 range, maybe closer to 200 psi.

Second, when you say 1st gear "slips/shudders" does it do it at any rpm or just when you're getting close to the shift point? What rpm does the thing shift at?

its hard to tell exactly where its shifting at, they feel really soft to me. i just drove it and it does fines with light to no throttle but if i try to push it to any power rpms it just starts slipping/shuddering in 1st-3rd with lock-up, didnt use od at all

im heading down to a local tranny shop that my nieghbor owns and im going to get a good gauge and he also has a dtt vb for my truck that he said he would sell me for $300, i might jsut buy that and be done with it

also if i use manual 1st, it slips alot less or not at all but then i kick it into 2nd and it will slip in the upper rmps when i gets ready to go to 3rd

What does the tranny oil look/smell like? If your neighbor is a tranny guy, have him give it a test drive.

i would have him drive it but he is a hard guy to catch at home, the fluid looks good and isnt burnt and smells new still, i talked to him and he said since i good line rise and the whole fornt of the tranny is good to go, that i probally messed up or broke the rear "sprung"(not sure on the spelling) and its making everything twist and slip, im going to drop the pan and pull the vb, make sure there is nothing abnormal in the bottom of the pan, and pull the od section off, and take it down to his shop and he is going to help me go thru it, i will let you guys know what i find

well i got the vb out and od off, i found in the vb that i put the tv plunger in backwards, (like sleeve end first) dont know if this could have caused my slipping/shuddering problems, also noted that the fluid looks nice and pink on the dipstick and when its coming out of the pan but when its in the bucket it has a pearlly look to it and i dont know if this is because there is no way to get all the old fluid out of the tc or if it smoked those forward clutches again??

im also kinda being to wonder if my single disk billet tc is bad? i have a manual tc lock-up switch and i lock it in 2nd gear all the time. im thinking maybe it would slip and shudder under throttle went its not lock-up but went i lock it up there is enough line pressure to hold it together so that it doesnt slip?

i got the od taken apart today and found that it was called a "sprag" not sprung, anyway the sprag looked brand new because it just got replaced in feb. but the race for it that is part of the out-put shaft feels like a nice set a railroad tracks, bad news is i need a new out-put shaft-good news is my nieghbor already found me one that he is going to hook me up with. also i think im going to pull the rest of the tranny and check those forward clutches and make sure they are still good

ok i hope im not talking to myself here but here goes, i got the od all fixed up, pulled the rest of the tranny and found the forward clutch pretty bad looking, when i was replacing them i noticed that the drum-thats part of the input shaft-thats has the piston to engage the clutches was completely cracked in half, i got a new input shaft and got it all together and went for a drive and heres what i found

line pressure at the accumualtor port is at 80-90psi at idle, goes up to 100 or so with throttle, when i put it in lock-up the pressure pegs my 110psi gauge. 1st-3rd seem to work great in the few miles i drove it BUT it will not go into od now??? im assuming the best thing to do would be get a GOOD gauge and test the od port first, it feels like it sorta engages but just slips

also how are the clutches and steels suppose to be arranged in od? when i pulled it apart the was a thin steel on the bottom and thick steel on top but i was told that it was suppose to be the other way around, any ideas its a 95 47rh

Back