47RH vs 48RE case

Cummins spool

Hi guys.

I have a little quick here. Or maybe two.
First question I have here is: Does a 47RH same case than 48RE other than the ttva? I know about the The electronic Throtle valve cable, but other than that, is it the same all around and oil passages inside?

Second question I have here is what killed my tranny.
The low roller clutch assembly is in multiple pieces, the low/reverse drum inner race is shot, The overdrive piston carier is seized on intermediate shaft.
It's the second time within two years that I get that Overdrive carrier to shaft seizure.
So you guess it right. I don't trust my cassing anymore and looking to use a 47RH from a friend instead.
Picture of shot low roller clutch assembly below.

Low roller clutch outer race inside tranny case.

Picture of shaft scuffing. You can also see the difference between the chrome polish and the lower part of the shaft where it was seized in overdrive piston carier.

Look at this O/D piston assembly. Gripped from inside out!!!

Here it's hard to see, but the low/reverse drum inner race is also shot.

The cases are very close to the same, except the hole for the VB wiring passthrough. That hole is physically bigger in the 48RE. If you need a 47RH case, PM LAMiller. He may still have the 47RH case that I traded to him.

The cases are very close to the same, except the hole for the VB wiring passthrough. That hole is physically bigger in the 48RE. If you need a 47RH case, PM LAMiller. He may still have the 47RH case that I traded to him.

Thanks a lot. I'm still thinking of what i'll be doing with this. I don't this to happen again ...

Lack of lube can be one cause for the shaft sticking in the O/D support. If u have access to a hot flush I would flush it until it is super clean, then I would check cooler flow when it warms up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so what are the main differences between the 47rh and the re series ? the plug ?

I have a RH in my truck, I have a friend that has a decent RE, could I build the RE as a RH and put in my truck ? and like plug the electrical hole ?? just thinkin ..

You can't interchange them. You still need wires going to the od and lu solenoids.

Last edited:
Ive built a 48RE with an RH case, but it was full manual, so it had 47RH lockup/OD guts

Back