48re build ?

mxracr15

Hey everybody I'm new to the site and had some questions for the guys who have built 48re's.

Should the low roller clutch cam (the steel race that is pressed into the back of the main case) have any play in it at all? Mine has a tiny bit of play in and out, you cant pull it all the way out, just a sixteenth of an inch maybe and no up and down or side to side play.

I talked to the place i bought the parts from and he said there shouldnt be any at all but then i called a trans shop and they said it was normal to have a small amount. I dont really want to have to have machine work done to the case to use a bolt in style but i dont want to do this twice either

You don't want any play in it what so ever it should be a press fit in the case. And yes I would have it drilled and tapped and bolted in. You don't want to try and take it out of the case to drill and tap it. Just do it while it is in the case.

okay. should i just use four 7/16 bolts? And they shouldn't have to be counter sunk right because they sit under the od piston retainer? I'm at work right now and can't remember.

thanks

I use 6 1/4 20 socket head cap screws in mine . You don't need to counter bore them or anything. I just drill and tap them no clearance drill you want them as tight as possible. I also blind tap them into the race. I don't drill them clear through because I think it makes a weak spot in the race , I have had them crack at the holes before .

I'm not sure where your located but if you were near Michigan I could do it for you . I have a program that I use for it in my CNC .

No I'm in Washington haha. Do you think I could get away with doing it with a hand drill or in my drill press?

Back