4bt to T-56?

So I wouldn't need to upgrade to billet shafts or anything along those lines?

I know I'm kind of beating a dead horse here, but other than fixing the 5th gear issue that I have heard about, what would I need to do in order to make sure that when I mash the trottle off road I will not have to worry about destroying my trans?

No matter how you build a NV4500 3rd and 5th gears will always be weak. A built 47rh/re will handle torque better.

No matter how you build a NV4500 3rd and 5th gears will always be weak. A built 47rh/re will handle torque better.

Care to explain why my completely stock nv4500 has held up to the daily beatings and horsepower that I've subjected it to??

Gotta disagree....it's a 4BT. I've beat the tar out of my NV4500's grossing 40K+ lbs with 1000ft lbs on tap, and other than 5th gear coming off once, thy never cared.

I even welded that gear back on and ran it for 3 years until I found a replacement 2wd tranny.

With a 850+hp sled puller, I could see a problem...but in a 4K lb S10 with a 4bt, that tranny will be so overkill, it won't be funny. Fix 5th gear so it can't come off, and go with it.

Chris

The 5th gear syncro cone becomes the weak part once the nut and shaft issues are fixed and 3rd will wipe the teeth right off the gear. I also know people with NV4500s that never had problems. Maybe it's abuse, maybe it's not.

The 5th gear syncro cone becomes the weak part once the nut and shaft issues are fixed and 3rd will wipe the teeth right off the gear. I also know people with NV4500s that never had problems. Maybe it's abuse, maybe it's not.

How many of those with problems had the nv4500/4bt combo?

I have personal experience with 3 nv4500/4bt setups. Each had plenty of power, and 2 of them are daily drivers that get BEAT. Transmission has been the LEAST of their problems. The third one is my own. There too the transmission has NEVER given a problem.
while I agree there are weak spots in the nv4500, behind a 4bt, it won't give a minit of trouble if 5th gear nut if properly fixed and proper oil is used.

I have personal experience with 3 nv4500/4bt setups. Each had plenty of power, and 2 of them are daily drivers that get BEAT. Transmission has been the LEAST of their problems. The third one is my own. There too the transmission has NEVER given a problem.
while I agree there are weak spots in the nv4500, behind a 4bt, it won't give a minit of trouble if 5th gear nut if properly fixed and proper oil is used.

You don't know the definition of beat! LOL I know for a fact that you've never raced 0-60 with your 4500 and if you had it would have broke something. Easing into the power and shifting the trans with care will go far!

You don't know the definition of beat! LOL I know for a fact that you've never raced 0-60 with your 4500 and if you had it would have broke something. Easing into the power and shifting the trans with care will go far!

I wasn't aware the OP wanted to race...

They aren't all bad. I put 375K miles on mine with the abuse mentioned before, DD clutch, trying to shift it fast, everything. Never a problem except 5th gear. There are probably thousands of other tranny's out the in trucks that aren't being hot rodded and beat to death that hold up fine...if they are ALL as bad as you think, there should be Dodge's and Chevy's littering the roadways with broken NV4500's.

There's not;)
Chris

Thanks for the input. I have known guys to run built 12V with 400-500 horse and do nothing to the trans but blow out the stock clutch. And again these are full sized trucks. My thouht is that, even if I get lucky and I am able to push 700ft lb out of the 4bt, the s10 is light. As long as I fix the 5th gear issue, put a quality rebuild kit in it and am aftermarket clutch such as a south bend or something like that, I should be ok. Even with larger tires, rough terrain and a very heavy right foot. Is my thinking in the ball park or am I way off?

You'll be fine! Some days I get the blues of fixing broken trannys.... The light weight truck will be a big plus!

Using the correct oil in the nv 4500 goes a long way mobil 1 75 90 synthetic DOES NOT WORK!!!!

I think there is a reason they didn't put the T-56 in trucks...just sayin.

SRT10 Rams came with a T56...... and they make a lot more hp/tq with factory 22" wheels and a viper V10 than the little breadtruck engine

Last edited:
SRT10 Rams came with a T56...... and they make a lot more hp/tq with factory 22" wheels and a viper V10 than the little breadtruck engine

Yep because the little bread truck engine has never made 800+hp LMFAO

Something like this would be better.................. :evil

Attachments

• billet transmission2.jpg
    billet transmission2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
And that would be a fully billit NV4500? lol I am no where close to being in the right tax bracket to afford that. I am a big supporter of the overbuild it and it won't break concept, but I think that is a little overkill. I have been toying with the idea of a t56 but I am building this truck to be a daily driver/ adventure rig and it would be a hell of a lot easier to find parts for an NV4500 in the middle of no where than a T56.

Back