5th gear problems

zirzow

Has anyone seen a gear failure on 5th gear like this with the nut still tight? It happened when i was driving empty in 5th pulling up a small hill pushing maybe 8-10 psi of boost. The tans is in the a shop now being gone through, the trans guy i trust said he has never seen anything like it before. Will be getting the full spline main shaft and updated nut. here are a few pics.
IMG_0052_zps08ded497.jpg

IMG_0037_zps11cb2a07.jpg

IMG_0057_zpsaf9949b3.jpg

IMG_0045_zps1cb09fbf.jpg

My 5 does that about every three months cryo treated it and it lasted 6 months

My tans builder said that 5th gear that was on my truck had the wrong gear pitch. I bought the truck with 106k, looks liked the previous owner had the gear replaced at one time or and had the 5th gear nut updated. This happened at around 190k. Don't tow with the truck up hills in 5th, just on flat ground.

thats common i have 3 sets that look like that lol 5th is just weak usually you have trouble twisting the splines out of the synchro hub also

My tans builder said that 5th gear that was on my truck had the wrong gear pitch. I bought the truck with 106k, looks liked the previous owner had the gear replaced at one time or and had the 5th gear nut updated. This happened at around 190k. Don't tow with the truck up hills in 5th, just on flat ground.

If it was the wrong pitch you would know about it as soon as you let the clutch out.....if you could even get it put back together. I'd find a different trans guy.

If it was the wrong pitch you would know about it as soon as you let the clutch out.....if you could even get it put back together. I'd find a different trans guy.

^^ x2^^:doh: Maybe contact Wade at NGM. He's a wizard at swapping ring & pinions. Let him work his magic.

Last edited:
Back