6 speed swap

lewy 09

ok guys im tryin to figure out what i need to swap in a 6 speed from a 04.5 into my 96. the transmissions im looking to buy comes with a sbdd 3600 with hydo upgrade and flywheel.

what do i need to bolt the 6 speed up? do i need an adapter plate?

will a 271 from an auto work with the 6 speed

It all bolts up you do not need a different adaper plate. not sure on the 271

Last edited:
clutch will work fine with a starter spacer, is it a g56 or an nv5600?

check the input shaft spline size on the 271 compared to the output of the 6 speed

The automatic transfer case will not work I don't think. Would be much easier if you can find a 01 or 02 6spd truck for donor parts. The 241 transfer case will bolt up to the 6speed, but the drive shafts are different lengths. I think you may also need the tranny cross member aswell, but I oculd be wrong. I looked in to doing this a while back on my 98.5, but I've lost my notes on it.

I would install the 271, while you are doing the swap. You can buy a different input shaft to work with the 6 speed. Check with Transfer Case Express for an input shaft.

im running into the same problem as well.. im in the process of doing a nv4500 swap, and the tranny shop im getting mine from said that the input numbers from the transfer case (mine is a 241 DLD) are different from the output of the nv4500... i would assume that is the same case for the nv5600 as well... they told me they could either provide me with a different input shaft for the transfer case, or they might be able to get a custom output shaft for the tranny to mate with the transfer case i have...

Yea the output on the manual transmissions are 19 spline and the autos r 26 spline so u'd either have to get a different input shaft for ur transfer case or a different transfer case. I just swapt a nv5600 into my 97. Was not very hard u need ur driveshafts shortened/lengthened and the xmember from a 2000 to a 2002 with a manual transmission in it. the 5 spd trks should have the same xmember u'll just have to look at it r measure it.It will have 2 sets of mounting slots and b abround 11 r 11 and a half inches wide. U can prolly find one on ebay, look under the seller redliner r just type in nv5600 parts and it will come up. He prolly has a shifter boot too... good luck with the swap, pm me if u have ne ? It's a easy swap tho

They call the crossmember you want the wide crossmember. It bells out in the center front to back. If your crossmember is straight across you have the wrong one. I believe that the auto and manuals ran the same wide crossmember. All the manuals have the same output spline and supposedly the new 6spd auto is also the same spline count for the transfercase.

Yea the output on the manual transmissions are 19 spline and the autos r 26 spline so u'd either have to get a different input shaft for ur transfer case or a different transfer case. I just swapt a nv5600 into my 97. Was not very hard u need ur driveshafts shortened/lengthened and the xmember from a 2000 to a 2002 with a manual transmission in it. the 5 spd trks should have the same xmember u'll just have to look at it r measure it.It will have 2 sets of mounting slots and b abround 11 r 11 and a half inches wide. U can prolly find one on ebay, look under the seller redliner r just type in nv5600 parts and it will come up. He prolly has a shifter boot too... good luck with the swap, pm me if u have ne ? It's a easy swap tho

Pretty sure the autos are 23 spline, and the manuals are 29.

Pretty sure the autos are 23 spline, and the manuals are 29.

That is Correct, also the gas job nv4500's are 23 spline. but the Diesel autos are 23 spline and the manuals are 29 spline.

Back