63/68-13 issues not spooling and smoking!

with your set up, what is your cruising boost and at what rpm does your turbo start to boost? And when does it full boost?

And i have checked my waste gate line and replaced it. could i bottom out the boost elbow to eliminate the line? i have also replaced the o-rings on boost ref. line off of head.

~1850 rpm start boosting, cruising ~9 psi at 70 mph, full boost I forgot to check... Hope it helps

~1850 rpm start boosting, cruising ~9 psi at 70 mph, full boost I forgot to check... Hope it helps

Thanks alot for that article you posted. I bought a tst afc spring kit. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Much appreciated!:thankyou2:

Did you ever pull the cover off of the exhaust housing and check that the wastegate arm is not bent like had been mentioned before? I basically have the same turbo and the gate had been welded shut. I don't have a benched pump but Mine is clean unless I lug the crap out of it. AFC spring is a good idea anyways but very well may not solve your problem.

I agree with TB1.

I have some random spring (methinks it came from an exhaust joint/stud kit) in my AFC, as the TST springs had too low of a rate - get it tight enought and I had coil bind.

adjust the afc spring accordingly to not reach full fuel until 40psi; this is what I have mine set at.

So i purchased a tst afc spring kit. The medium or heavy coil binds at 28-30 psi. and the light spring is like the 25ish. I tried shimming the stock one and it coil bound at 25ish. Threw a 180 pump gov. spring in and it took 60 psi for full travel. To stiff for my liking. What spring are you using hurley? Or anyone else that reads this. And i did check my wastegate and it looks all in order. Im looking for a spring or combination of springs that have little movement until about 10 psi and in the area of 40 to 45psi for full travel.

I have a spring from one of those "Help!" exhaust stud/spring kits from advance auto parts, best i can tell. I found it on a shelf at a friend's house, and called dibbs.

Noteworthy: it is a shorter spring, and I've had some issue with tuning in bottom end fueling.

ok, I have checked for boost leaks and fixed them, I took the wg cover off and the pucks are sealing. Still have low throttle smoke! If my timing slipped, is it possible it slipped from my 18* to like 10*? Or do they slip enough to where they wont even run? Could it be leaky injector? I have not had time to check the timing again... It starts right up no unburned fuel. I am just at a loss and don't know what to do next. Thinking im gonna pull injectors and have them pop tested. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a fixture that you bolt your plate and afc to, then flip over and add air to the afc with an adjustable regulator. With it you can watch when it starts to move and make sure that the afc arm is clearing the plate(no coil bind). I can loan it to you so you can check things out.

RonA

ok, I have checked for boost leaks and fixed them, I took the wg cover off and the pucks are sealing. Still have low throttle smoke! If my timing slipped, is it possible it slipped from my 18* to like 10*? Or do they slip enough to where they wont even run? Could it be leaky injector? I have not had time to check the timing again... It starts right up no unburned fuel. I am just at a loss and don't know what to do next. Thinking im gonna pull injectors and have them pop tested. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Poor working injectors will cause the issues you are describing mine got so bad starting became a problem now I have my answer!

Had the injectors tested, they all popped in the 280 range! I might be overthinking this, between all the posts I read and my own frustration..... but could I have to much timing for this turbo? Or are my 181 dvs and 5x.12s just not enough fuel?! I came across a post somewhere that said these turbos don't like timing? And multiple other posts that stated stick trucks geared out like mine with bigger tires were real lazy.... Wish I had another set of eyes around, sometimes its better to have a second opinion on how it runs/doesn't run.

Get a stock 215 AFC spring, find a socket it will fit over, bust out the little propane torch (it don't take alot of heat) and stretch to 35-36mm. Bosch part number: 2 424 619 189 for the spring. I run my starwheel full forward with this set up, and it is really clean. They don't like a whole lot of pre boost fuel. Anything over 20° will hurt spool up.

Last edited:
Also a 5 x 14 or a set of 024's with your current injectors wouldnt hurt

Back