7.3 for towing

97crewcab

Wrong.
I am looking for a turbo(s) setup for a 01 6spd 7.3 that tows alot and fairly heavy. The factory turbo just let go. Truck has 6pos (TS or DP not sure?) chip, 5" exhaust, intake, southbend clutch.

First question is how much boost will a 7.3 take before he needs to do studs?
Anyone put together a small set of towing twins on a 7.3 with a stock turbo?
Anyone using a s465, will it work on the street and spool?

Sorry If this is old news, I don't keep up on the 7.3s too much. Thoughts?

Thanks

Been looking around.
40psi max w/out studs
Nothing on towing twins...?
Gt38 and the D66 are the only bolt on options still available.

I don't mind having to fab something to make a better turbo work. I don't want to have to do it twice though. Especially since it is not my truck.

The d66 will only work on the early 99's. The 38r is a bb turbo and my friend has a ccdrw and tows alot with it with a ts chip.

I read somewhere he has a D66 for the later trucks now. It isn't on the website though???
I have read quite a bit about the 38r. Seems like a good option. There has to be others though? Gt4088, S300, etc. Maybe we are just spoiled having a cummins but hybrids and stock ball bearing upgrades are a thing of the past for most. Trying to think outside the box a little.
Thanks for the input goodstktbo, it is definately an option.

You can run s-400 or s-300, but you'll need diff. up-pipes and i/c lines,pedistal, don't know either how good it will spool for towing egt's etc.with just a chip. i run an s-300 on my 97 but with larger stix. i think the best would be 38r (garrett not turbonetics) or the qssb from wide open performance.

does the t s chip work good an how about fuel milage ?
my 03 is around 12.4 or so would like better fuel milage out of the old beast

It is a friends truck. I know he likes it a lot. He didn't say his mileage went down. Started with a superchip then went to the multipos chip from TS. I would guess TS probably has a tune for mileage if you ask. Sorry I am not more help than that.

what kind of HP are you looking for. a garret 38R may be all you really need. I think long island diesel performance had a twins kit for the OBS trucks for a while that used the factory turbo but I have never heard of sutch a kit on the superduties. there are quite a few guys running a 38r along with a bigger charger in a twin setup though.

Basically he is looking for reliability. If he hadn't already ruined his stock turbo I would be looking at primaries now.
Basically keep the bottom end stock (I don't think he wants to stud it), drive it everyday, tow heavy with a lot of stop and go. He has talked about injectors in the past but I doubt it will be anytime soon if ever with the need of a turbo.
If I can find a used 38r for a good price I will probably tell him to go that way. I found a used Turbonetics bolt in turbo for sale too.

Basically he is looking for reliability. If he hadn't already ruined his stock turbo I would be looking at primaries now.
Basically keep the bottom end stock (I don't think he wants to stud it), drive it everyday, tow heavy with a lot of stop and go. He has talked about injectors in the past but I doubt it will be anytime soon if ever with the need of a turbo.
If I can find a used 38r for a good price I will probably tell him to go that way. I found a used Turbonetics bolt in turbo for sale too.

stay away from that turbonetics, if it's the one i think it is they stopped making it for a very good reason....
go with the 38r for a superduty and you'll never look back

Yeah I would say that is fairly big. Compensating for not having an intercooler?
I am thinking about a 62mm S300 for the powerstroke.

Sledge deff. not good for towing. My truck is intercooled also now, need 2 change my sig.:doh:

I have the QSSB sitting in my garage. I think that it would be a great turbo for a truck w/ stock to stage 2 sticks. It worked good, but I am now using a 66mm H2. It has been working pretty well, but I may go to a 68mm S400/300.

I have the QSSB sitting in my garage. I think that it would be a great turbo for a truck w/ stock to stage 2 sticks. It worked good, but I am now using a 66mm H2. It has been working pretty well, but I may go to a 68mm S400/300.

ther're you go qssb will work good.

Back