806 vs 1066

ZachLeinenbach

Can anyone give me details about the back half of these tractors ? I know the engines are different just curious about pros/cons in rear ends and transmissions

As far as I know they are the same,to go lighter, look for a 706 rear

I thought they were or not much difference. Everyone and their brother pull either a 1066 or a 1466 here and was wondering why nobody ever tried an 806. Seems like a 361 would be an interesting engine to upgrade

The 1466 rear end has a bigger axle and bearings so it is heavier than a 1066, the 706 and 806 are almost the same but are a little lighter.

So will a 706 or 806 hold up to a 466 repower?

Most of the Pro and Super stock tractors that are still running tractor rearends are 706 rears. So, yes it will.

Just remember it's tractor pulling nothing last forever.

What kinda upgrades or changes would/ should be done to handle the extra horsepower? Bottom shaft support? Extreme duty ta? Changing any gears in transmission? I guess my question is what things are must -dos and what things are money pits

What kinda upgrades or changes would/ should be done to handle the extra horsepower? Bottom shaft support? Extreme duty ta? Changing any gears in transmission? I guess my question is what things are must -dos and what things are money pits

Those kind of answers cost money... I've been around enough tractors to know they start with 706 rear ends but I have no idea what they do to them. You might want to find a tractor based site for more info. However tractor pullers are not anywhere as open with information as the guys on here.

And you gotta remember most pulling tractors are not what the sheet metal says. A good example is a 1066 named The Player (I believe it got sold to the south somewhere) started life as my old mans 1206 he pulled in the 80's.

If you know anyone who pulls pro or super stock you may want to start there and see how much they are willing to share.

Last edited:
A couple friends pull 1066 and 1466's. If you are going with a 466, then you will want the lower shaft support bearing and they make about any grade of TA you want to handle whatever power plant you are using. It depends on the rules in your area as to how much you can build but you can build a 1066 with a 706 rear end no problem. As mentioned above, alot of the pro and super class pullers use 706 or 806 rears and go from there. A 360 is a good motor to build and if you read a couple other threads in this section, there is alot of potential for these engines. I am guessing you are looking to build a light farm stock tractor maybe which is my next project, you could start with a 706 with the 312 diesel, the 312 uses the same block as the 360, and then go from there using parts from ag 360's and truck 360's and come up with around 400 cubes ( that's what I read in one of the threads in this section) and end up with a pretty decent farm stock tractor that looks totally stock or just put a 466 in front and hang on!! Just my $.02

I just want something different. I want to mess around and stumble on ideas that the other guys haven't. I know many times I won't win, my pocketbook isn't that deep! But just doing the work myself would be fun. I just wanted to ask all you guys about the rear end deal before I got my hopes up too high

they pull a 1066 because of the 466 motor. we have an 806 with a 466 motor but only pull hot farm with open rules. To pull in a sanctioned organization around us we would have to put 1066 sheetmetal on the tractor because the 806 was never offered with the crank thats in the 466.

how much power are you looking for? Our rearend is all stock and has held up good so far. Granted we aren't pushing out 1000 hp or close but.

Also if your building this from scratch and looking to one day hit 600-700 hp, upgrade the input shaft right away and order clutches/pressure plate accordingly, you can also use a 1566 or 1586(idk which one) input shaft i believe to increase the strength. Like mentioned earlier give atlas a call, be warned though, if they don't have it on the shelf you will wait months for it

It all depends on what your plans are for pulling.
I am new to tractor pulling as well as comp diesel. We are in the middle of putting our first tractor together, {A 1466} Went to a 466 crank shaft and now have a 466 motor as a result of doing that, we are haveing cyl head and cam work being worked on at local shops currently, as for your TA question we had a HD super Ta from HY- Capicity that we installed, we also installed a counter shaft from an 806 due to that being built heavier, when the 806s were built they had a heavier counter shaft, when the 56 and 66 seris tractors were introduced the counter shaft size was decreased due to higher HP tractors needing bigger pto shafts to handle the HP on the pto side. I have also heard of putting in 2nd gears from a 3588 to get you alittle gear change in the trans. Right or wrong this is what we are working on. I have had alot of help from guys here on comp diesel just reading posts or talking to guys at pull off.com searching for parts on their for sale posts. Our plan for the future is to pull farm stock with maybe moving up to hot farm after we get our feet wet.

Good luck!

I've been hearing about shaft supports, does that just mount into the bottom shaft to carry it? And also the back plate of engine, is thatgoing to be a bear to mount or will it be fairly simple?

Back