95 7.3 question

Old Iron

A guy i know has a 95 7.3l and he said he was going down the road and it quit and wont restart it has a new starter and new battery's and it turns over fast but doesn't even fire and has no codes any suggestions?

Cam postition sensor. There are no crank sensors. When he turns the truck over, does the tach move? If not, cam sensor. easy fix. 1 10mm bolt and one plug at the 10 o'clock position on the crank pulley. Just pulls out, some are kinda snug so be ready.

If the tach does move, there are a few other things to look at. First it the fuel bowl heater element. It is notorious for breaking off the soldier pads and and shorting to the inside of the fuel bowl. Easy way to look for that is when you turn the key on, does the wait to start light illuminate? If not, it's probably the heater. If that shorts out, it will shut the truck off like you turned the key off.

But most likely it's just a cam sensor. It's a very common failure.

thanks for the info, i know the fuel bowl heater is unhooked already ill have to check on the cam sensor

Has he checked his oil level? She won't run low of oil. Simple stuff first.

Scott

check oil and see if the tac moves when cranking if so cps is good if not that would be the problem..

IPR orings. If the tach moves, you have fuel, and oil, it's gotta be the IPR orings.

i tried having the fuel bowl cover off and Had them crank the engine and the fuel bowl never filled up and also just to see if it would fire we sprayed some starting fluid in the air cleaner and nothing with that ether?

Sounds like your fuel pump is dead. But try this.....have the fuel bowl lid off. take a small screw driver and push down on the center of the filter stand pipe. You will see it opens the fuel passage at the top of the pipe. Crank then. If still no fuel, your pump is bad. I don't believe that little valve controlls the incoming fuel, just the out going. And I would try filling the bowl with fuel and try to crank it then. That would also tell you if the pump is dead.

OR, OR, you could have a restriction in the line somewhere, or the selector valve is messed up. You can also pressurize the tank with compressed air while cranking and see what happens.

But the bottom line is if the bowl is not filling, you have a fuel supply problem.

i didn't see a electric fuel pump on this in the frame rail is this a mechanical pump if so where would it be located?

Its right behind the fuel filter housing. If you have to change it be careful taking it out cause the tappet that rides on the cam can fall down in the motor.

Its right behind the fuel filter housing. If you have to change it be careful taking it out cause the tappet that rides on the cam can fall down in the motor.

do you have a picture of the fuel pump by chance in the truck?

Its in front of the turbo and behind the fuel filter housing . From the factory it has a cover over the top that snaps onto the hoses . You may have to remove it to see the pump. It is a mechanical fuel pump with 3 fuel lines attached to it. The pump is a two stage pump . I would imagine that the high or low side can go bad.

I would open the drain valve on the housing and remove the filter . let the fuel drain out and then crank the motor over . You should be able to see fuel being shot into the housing .

I wouldnt think that the truck just all together lost all of the pressure of its high pressure oil pump.

Run the fuel tests mentioned if that doesnt solve it then post back up and we will move onto the next step.

Back