96 motor, spun rod bearing

K204DR

I'm the Driver
So I got a 96 180 motor from a friend. he was driving it, started knocking, he shut it down and had it towed. spun #5 rod bearing, and bearing stacked up and pushed the piston into the head.
I have another crank, need to get another rod, and I would assume its not safe to use that piston again, so I'm trying to decide if I get 1 piston, or a whole set.
doesn't look like it needs bored out but will need to measure for sure. it had 220K on it.
going to rebuild it for towing twins, so it'll mostly be stock with oring in the block, and head studs, also arp rod bolts.
anything else you would do to it? I have 14mm main studs, but don't see any point in using them as the mains are good and I'm not going for big hp.

If its apart, I'd put in new pistons.

Assuming you're going to hone it if it doesn't need bored?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mine had spun #6 rod and sent metal particles thru everything.
Imbedded in the pistons, oil pump scratched up, oil cooler full of trash, cam lobe scuffed.
Look it over good, check the cylinder walls for taper, may need a .020 over bore.

yeah its getting a thorough cleaning. it looks real good in all the cylinders, although #5 does have a few scratches. I will have the machine shop check it carefully when I have them clean it. I need to find a shop to balance it also. my favorite machine shop doesn't do that.

Back