966 turbo action

zfaylor

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Got a decent deal on a 966 at work.
tu2e4a7a.jpg

Plan to turbo it and re paint it this winter.

I was staring at it and got to thinking the exhaust manifold didn't look all that different size wise to a cummins. Cummins being a 359 ci engine and this being a 414 engine.

Well after a quick google search I found that guys have made the manifolds work. So, plan is to use a common rail manifold since that style is typically used in tractors to keep the turbo tucked out if the way.

Turbo sizing question: which turbo?

Plan was to run an hx35 and probably get a 16cm housing to open it up since typically exhaust housings a quite large on ag equipment.

A quick tip I picked up from a tech at work is to overfill the hydro by 5 gallons to keep the torque happy. Apparently there is an o ring that is not covered by oil unless it is overfilled. They tend to dry out and cause cavitation thus killing the torque.

Sent from my Obama foneeeeeee!!!!! (Jay Kay)

Or you could just grab a manifold off a 1066 or 1086. I'd go with an hx40 or around the same size or a Borg charger.

Or you could just grab a manifold off a 1066 or 1086. I'd go with an hx40 or around the same size or a Borg charger.

I would like to as those came with a turbo on the same engine but everyone wants 200+ for one around me. I have a common rail mani already in my possession. hx40 makes more sense seeing as this engine is a little larger than a 5.9 cummins. Ill see what I can find. Thanks for the advice!

Try giving Anderson tractor supply in bluffton Ohio a call. All kinds of parts at good prices. Shouldn't that manifold a 3 piece already? Just need a section for turbo?

I 2nd the hx40 idea.

Best overall turbo for our 966 is a TO4b90 which is the turbo for an allis with the 426ci engine, it has low end power, snappy response without turbo lag, for us also we had a stock 1066 turbo on it and was too big for farming and the type of pulling we were doing. We had an M&W setup on the stock manifold but I thought it had too many 90* angles on it so I made my own setup from the original manifold to come through the original hood hole instead of cutting a new hole or changing the right side hood shield and fuel tank. We were probably running 180-200 HP last pulling season and over 20 psi of boost with this setup and extra fuel and stock RPM's.

I didn't get notified of all these responses! Thanks for the replies guys. I don't plan to pull it much just dink around and make hay with it mostly.

Sent from my Obama foneeeeeee!!!!! (Jay Kay)

Back